[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Thurs. 3/18
bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Mar 17 14:42:30 PDT 2010
STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
March 18, 2010
*Indicates new or updated item
SAT word of the day: abnegate(v) - To renounce (a right or privilege)
1. Students interested in taking Honors Algebra 2 or Honors Math Analysis next year must take the placement exam. If you are currently enrolled in an Honors course at BHS and will end the year with an A or B you do not need to take the test. Any other current BHS student may sign up on the sign up sheets posted on the math office H113. Any off-campus students planning to take the test should email Amy Burke at amy_burke at berkeley.k12.ca.us with their preferred testing date. The test will take approximately one hour and is to be given on Monday, April 5 and Tuesday, April 6 in H304 at 4:00. Please note, this exam is different from the exam being offered to all incoming 9th graders. It is being offered to current 9th, 10th and 11th grade students both enrolled at BHS and coming into the school in the fall.
2. This is the last week to register for the AP Tests given in May 2010. Forms are available through AP Teachers or from Mrs. Williams in C106. You may turn in the registration during lunch to 12:10 pm or after school to 4 pm at the Athletic Ticket window through Friday, March 19. Lines the last day will be long, do not wait!
3. LOVE DANCING? Want to take a student run dance class where you put on your own show, create dances and work with professional choreographers? Then come audition for Berkeley High's Dance Production Class! Drop in rehearsals begin this Thursday at lunch and after school on the A building stage. Come learn the dances, then show up for the audition NEXT THURSDAY, March 25th. See Ms. Carr or Ms. Zakon in the A Building for more information.
4. Week of service next week. (March 22-March 26) Each day we have a different theme - show your service spirit.
- Monday is GO Green Day, wear your thrift store and natural fiber clothing.
- Tuesday is Animal day. Dress up like your favorite living creature.
- Wednesday is Help Humanity. Be a buddy, find a buddy to dress alike.
- Thursday is Political Activism Day. Be patriotic/radical. Dress like a Politician.
- Friday is Cesar Chavez Day of Service and Learning. Wear red and gold in solidarity.
This is a great week of service, let's make this a success!!!
*5. Need service hours? Want to be in a fun service event? Well come to D148 to sign up for next week's campus clean-up! Next week is the week of service and remember BHS leadership is service! SO come out, show your leadership, and get involved! Campus clean up after school Monday, tutoring at Washington Elementary on Wednesday.
Join us for a St. Patty's Day celebration! Cooking Club is meeting on Tuesday, March 23 @ 3:30 in H106. We'll be making green pizza, pasta and salad. Join us for food, fun and friends!
ON TO ARCO! Congratulations again to our Ladyjacket basketball team for their Regional Semifinal win over Kennedy Saturday night! The Ladyjackets won 52-47, and move on to the Regional finals at Arco Arena in Sacramento this Saturday, March 20, at 6 pm. Go Ladyjackets! Let's all get up to Sacramento this Saturday and make some noise!
Juniors ONLY - Take an SAT or ACT practice test at BHS. Sign up in the College Career Center starting Monday, March 15th at lunch or after school - $15 CASH ONLY. The test will be on Saturday, April 17, 2010 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
1. STUDENTS, TEACHERS AND STAFF--PUBLISH YOUR ART! Illustrations are needed for next year's BHS College Application handbooks. Hand-drawn or digital, photos, cartoons, crossword puzzles, or whatever-all are fine just so they're original. The art can be in color, but be aware that it will be reproduced in black and white. The artwork can express something about applying to college, life at Berkeley High, student life, or just life. Of course, no objectionable subject matter please. We'll use your name unless you don't want it published; but please include your name and contact info on the back of your art in case we need to contact you, and drop it off in the College/Career Center, attention Nancy Koerner, or send it to downboy1013 at yahoo.com. Deadline is April 1. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Nancy at downboy1013 at yahoo.com
2. Financial Aid Workshops will be in the College Career at 3:30 pm., Tuesdays.
1. If you like Wii Games, Mario Kart, Apples to Apples or other games, stop by the Berkeley Public Library on Thursday afternoons 4:00-5:30. We're on the 3rd floor of the downtown central library, 2090 Kittredge St. Play Wii games on a large projection screen. Questions? Email: bplteen at ci.berkeley.ca.us.
2. YMTC announces auditions for its summer production: Mothers of Ludlow, open to students entering grades 7 to college in Fall 2010. This poignant and beautiful world premiere musical brings to life events leading up to a tragic massacre of striking coal miners and their families in Ludlow, Colorado in 1914. It is a story of desperate times, racial tension, courage and love. Tuition: $975; tuition assistance available. Auditions: Monday & Tuesday, March 22 and 23, by appointment only. Please visit our website for more information about preparing for auditions, and how make an appointment. Performances: July 16, 17, 23, and 24 - evenings, July 18 and 25 - matinees (exact performance times subject to change). Julia Morgan Young People's Performing Arts Center, Berkeley. For more information and to download audition application, visit http://www.ymtcberkeley.org/auditions.html
*3. Junior Prom is finally here! It will be held at the Bayside Pavillion on April 10th so be sure to get your tickets ASAP! Tickets this week will be sold for $55 at the ticket office. For more information feel free to stop by the leadership office, D148.
More information about the BHS