[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Fri. 3/12
bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Mar 11 15:16:59 PST 2010
STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
March 12, 2010
*Indicates new or updated item
SAT word of the day: abject (adj.) Sunk to a low condition.
1. King Middle School Afterschool ELL Tutorial is looking for Spanish bilingual tutors who can work from 3-4, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and from 2:15-3:15 on Wednesday. We'll also hire monolingual English speaking tutors who want to patiently work with middle school students. You must be good in Pre-Algebra and Algebra and/or Science. You must be able to help students read and understand literature and history books. You must be in 11th or 12th grade and able to get to King on time! Pay: $9.00/hour. Come by the Science Building, Room 7 and ask for Patricia Rathwell or Akemi Hamai, or call 644-4811.
2. Learn how the Universe works! Learn Physics! If you would like AP Physics or IB Physics next year, you must attend a required informational meeting. Meetings will take place during lunch this week, Friday in room G217. Meeting starts at 11:45 am. Don't miss out! Come hear about these AWESOME classes!
3. Students interested in taking Honors Algebra 2 or Honors Math Analysis next year must take the placement exam. If you are currently enrolled in an Honors course at BHS and will end the year with an A or B you do not need to take the test. Any other current BHS student may sign up on the sign up sheets posted on the math office H113. Any off-campus students planning to take the test should email Amy Burke at amy_burke at berkeley.k12.ca.us with their preferred testing date. The test will take approximately one hour and is to be given on Monday, April 5 and Tuesday, April 6 in H304 at 4:00. Please note, this exam is different from the exam being offered to all incoming 9th graders. It is being offered to current 9th, 10th and 11th grade students both enrolled at BHS and coming into the school in the fall.
*4. On March 7th, Berkeley High School was honored for finishing in 3rd place in the Bay Area Math Olympiad. This award was based on the number of students who did well on a very difficult four hour math test. Congratulations to Madeleine Scott, Aisha Ferrazares, Zoe Fiddler, Rebecah Kenny, Julie Petracca-Naujoks, Alona Bach, Diana Wahl, Grant Storey, Matt Olson, Gavin Saldanha, Ethan Goldberg, Kevin Spevak, Aron Cowen, and Alexander Johnson. In addition, Berkeley High math teacher Peter Bloomsburgh won the 2nd place trophy in the Bay Area Math Olympiad for teachers.
*5. The CAHSEE is being offered in the Jacket Gym on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Tuesday March 16th is the English portion and Wednesday is Math. If you are a Senior or Junior who has not yet passed the exit exam, please plan on attending. If you are a Sophomore who was absent for either part of the February test, you should also plan on attending. The test will begin at 8:00 am. Please bring your student ID.
1. Join us for a St. Patty's Day celebration! Cooking Club is meeting on Tuesday, March 23 @ 3:30 in H106. We'll be making green pizza, pasta and salad. Join us for food, fun and friends!
2. BHS CHORUS upcoming performances are March 14 Berkeley High Live (Vocal Jazz) and March 21 (Performing Arts Showcase).
3. Attention acoustic roots music fans! Do you play guitar, violin/fiddle, mandolin, stand-up bass, or banjo? Do you already play a stringed instrument and want to switch to one of these? Come to the Berkeley High String Band club to play traditional American music. If enough students are interested, group lessons for these instruments will be provided by the Freight & Salvage. We meet on Wednesdays in C-127 from 3:45 to 4:45. Instruments optional. Contact Joe Adams (banjomanjoe at gmail.com) with any questions.
Juniors ONLY – Take an SAT or ACT practice test at BHS. Sign up in the College Career Center starting Monday, March 15th at lunch or after school - $15 CASH ONLY. The test will be on Saturday, April 17, 2010 9:00-1:00pm.
Seniors buy your senior hoodies! They are limited! $25 each. Go to D148 to get yours today!
1. STUDENTS, TEACHERS AND STAFF--PUBLISH YOUR ART! Illustrations are needed for next year's BHS College Application handbooks. Hand-drawn or digital, photos, cartoons, crossword puzzles, or whatever—all are fine just so they're original. The art can be in color, but be aware that it will be reproduced in black and white. The artwork can express something about applying to college, life at Berkeley High, student life, or just life. Of course, no objectionable subject matter please. We'll use your name unless you don't want it published; but please include your name and contact info on the back of your art in case we need to contact you, and drop it off in the College/Career Center, attention Nancy Koerner, or send it to downboy1013 at yahoo.com. Deadline is April 1. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Nancy at downboy1013 at yahoo.com
2. Financial Aid Workshops will be in the College Career at 3:30 pm., Tuesdays.
1. Are you in Y and G or in Y scholars? Are you a teenager that needs something to do after school? If you answered yes to any of these questions the YMCA Teen Center needs your support! The Teen Center, which is being built on Center and MLK, has been nominated for a $250,000 Pepsi Challenge Grant. To win, we need everyone to vote and let Pepsi know that the teen center is a refreshing idea. The website to vote is; www.refresheverything.com/ymcateencenter. Don't forget to vote daily until the end of the month!
2. Calling all teen Writers and Artists!! Do you want your work to be published in an Anthology of writing and Art!?? Then send it to teenswrite2010 at gmail.com by March 15th! Join the facebook group to learn more! Get published and boost your college resume!
3. MORP - "Glow in the Dark," March 12, 7-11 pm, BHS Food Court
Tickets $7 all week. Buy tickets at lunch or after school. Guests are allowed but guest passes must be completed and submitted by today, Wednesday March 10! You must have an administrator's signature and a copy of your guest's ID in order to get your guest pass approved. Dress code: Casual.
4. If you like Wii Games, Mario Kart, Apples to Apples or other games, stop by the Berkeley Public Library on Thursday afternoons 4:00-5:30. We're on the 3rd floor of the downtown central library, 2090 Kittredge St. Play Wii games on a large projection screen. Questions? Email: bplteen at ci.berkeley.ca.us.
5. Come to the library at lunch on Friday. There will be arts and crafts and lots of snacks brought to you by the Berkeley Public Library. Show up for some hands-on fun March 12th at lunch in the school library.
The application period for YouthWorks, the City of Berkeley's Youth Employment Program, began February 22, 2010. Qualified Berkeley residents ages 14-25 can apply for a variety of jobs, including childcare, recreation & clerical positions within city departments and community organizations. The pay is $8.00/hr, and youth may work up to 6 hours/day (30 hrs/week) for a period of up to 6 weeks. The tentative start date is July 11, 2010, and interested youth are required to pick up an application in person at 1947 Center Street, Basement. The completed application, with Parental Authorization and all supplemental forms, must be returned by March 31st, including Photo ID, original Social Security Card, Proof of Residence and a typed or word-processed resume. For further information, contact YouthWorks at (510) 981-4970 or email youthworks at cityofberkeley.info.
More information about the BHS