[BHS etree] ADMIN: Call for Green Career Week Participants / Letter from Mayor Bates

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Feb 10 08:22:28 PST 2010

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Julie Sinai
[mailto:jsinai at cityofberkeley.info]

Note: This letter was passed along to the etree community by SSJE lead
teacher Kate Trimlett.

February 9, 2010

Dear Green Business,
As chair of the East Bay Green Corridor Partnership I would like to invite
you and your business to be part of our exciting new marketing and career
exploration event.

On Friday, March 19th, 2010 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. we are hosting the 1st
Annual Green High School Academy Career Exploration Fair.  Over 300 East Bay
high school students will converge in the Berkeley High School Gym to gather
information and learn about our regional green industry and economy.  Each
business will have a half or a whole table (6 or 8 ft) for their own
display.

Participating students attend Berkeley High School, El Cerrito High School,
Emery Secondary, Oakland Tech High School, Richmond High School, Skyline
High School and San Lorenzo High School.  With the help of California
Partnership Academy funding from the State Department of Education and other
private sources, these seven schools are developing dynamic Green Academies
to prepare our young people for the jobs of today and tomorrow.  This Career
Exploration Fair will be an opportunity for you to show-off your business to
future employees, customers, and advocates.

Why participate? You will be able to:

* Market your business and network with other green businesses in the
region;

* Expose high school students to career pathway opportunities in your
industry;

* Recruit interns and/or potential summer youth employees;

* Build relationships with local educational and work force development
staff (and learn about financial resources for workforce training); and,

* Provide valuable insights about what is necessary to prepare the future
work force.

Please RSVP by Monday, March 1st to reserve your table. Please specify if
you will need any other support (i.e. electrical outlets).

Lastly, each high school is preparing their students to make the most of the
Career Exploration fair, including classroom-based workshops prior to the
event.  These workshops will introduce students to different industries,
job-seeking skills and answer general questions about green businesses.  If
you would like to make a classroom presentation about your industry or
business, please let us know which high school interests you and we will
facilitate your involvement.

Please contact Julie Sinai, in my office, with your RSVP and any questions
you may have.  She can be reached at 510.981.7100 and at
jsinai at cityofberkeley.info

Sincerely,
Tom Bates
Chair, East Bay Green Corridor Partnership
Mayor of Berkeley