[BHS etree] ADMIN: BHS's Green Academy is Recruiting its 10th Grade Class

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Feb 4 16:03:32 PST 2010

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Glenn Wolkenfeld
[mailto:gwolkenfeld at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

BHS's Green Academy is Recruiting its 10th Grade Class

Starting in Fall 2010-2011, BHS will be launching its Green Academy. This
new small learning community combines SSJE's experience and success in Green
education with a newly funded program, supported in part by grants from PG&E
and the California Department of Education, that will focus on sustainable
energy. And right now, we're recruiting our first 10th grade class.

Ultimately, the Green Academy will have 480 students. After a combined 9th
grade program, students will embark on one of two pathways. The S.E.E.D.
program (Sustainability, Ecology, and Environmental Design) will focus on
renewable energy, transportation, green architecture, sustainable
agriculture, water quality, and waste management. The H.E.A.T. program
(Human Energy and Appropriate Technology) will focus on the science of
energy sustainability -- the physics of energy; electricity and electronics;
energy conservation; and energy generation through solar, wind, geothermal,
biofuels, and other energy sources.

The Green Academy will be offering an education that couldn't be more
timely, relevant, rigorous, and meaningful. We'll be offering challenging
classes that integrate science, environmental, and social justice themes
throughout all of our classes. Students who want to will be able to take
several AP classes. And when it comes time to apply to college, your son or
daughter will be able to position him or herself as a problem solver with
strong convictions and a real world understanding about the most important
concerns of our day.

If your student is interested, please encourage him or her to join us for a
pizza lunch on Tuesday, February 9th in room G307. Please RSVP so that we
can order enough pizza for everyone.

If you want more information, please feel free to email me, or come to talk
to me in room G212, during lunch or after school.

Sincerely,

Glenn Wolkenfeld
Science Teacher