[BHS etree] SPORTS: Q&A Physical Examination Requirements

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Jan 25 13:44:46 PST 2010

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Bill Gaebler, Athletic Director [mailto:william_gaebler at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

1. Why is there physical for a student athletes?
We want to make sure our students in good enough physical condition to play contact sports. Students must get a physical and clearance by a physician every year to even try out for a team. This is done for the safety of the student.

2. What is the physical form?
We have a 2-page form for the physical. One side is completed by the parent/guardian and the other side by the physician.

3. Who signs the form?
The physician and parent both need to sign the form. The physician also needs to put their medical office stamp on the form.

4. How long is the physical good for?
Physicals are good for 12 months from the date of the physical and cover a full season. For instance for the spring season, a physical dated March 10, 2009, is good until March 9, 2010. Since the season lasts longer than March, the student must get a new physical and turn in the form to the AD office no later than March 9, 2010.

5. Can my student try out without a current physical?
No, to try out the athlete must have a current physical and the emergency form.