[BHS etree] STUDENT ACTIVITIES: Donations for Haiti

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jan 14 16:43:16 PST 2010

Do not reply to this e-mail, please contact Chris Young [mailto:cyoung at berkeleyhigh.us]

Dear Staff Members and Berkeley Community Members,

Many of you and students have come to my office asking what can we do as a
school to help people in Haiti.  My best thought is that in a crisis
situation the key is to act with best instincts and intentions and not
waste time organizing for the sake of being able to monitor how much we
raise and send or other non-essential purposes.

Of course most simply this is about the people, other living things and
the land of Haiti needing immediate aid from other people who are able to
help.

So let us start donating.  Links below are to reputable relief
organizations with funds setup directly for Haiti relief that are
operating there.

Perhaps to inspire each other we can use this email thread as a way to let
others know what we individually or as a group are doing to help.  It can also be used to spread the call for donations with links to the orgs below or other ways to help you think are good for all of us to consider.

The info and links below are cut and pasted from a MoveOn.org statement
about relief.  This statement is apolitical and the links take you
directly to those relief organizations.  I felt the MoveOn.org write-up
was a good brief summary of the situation and ways to donate to
known-to-be-effective relief orgs.

Thank you,
Chris Young
BHS Student Activities
---------------------------

"The news coming out of Haiti is almost too terrible to imagine.

Three million people have been affected by Tuesday's earthquake, and the
Red Cross estimates as many as 50,000 may be dead. Survivors are digging
through the rubble with their hands in a desperate attempt to rescue those
who are trapped.

With water and medical supplies in short supply, and the Haitian
government paralyzed, international aid efforts in the next few days will
be critical to prevent more human suffering.

These three charities, and many others, are providing care. If you can
contribute to help fund their emergency efforts, please do.

    * Doctors Without Borders:
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=86019&id=18575-9433425-kXu5cux&t=1

    * Oxfam America:
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=85998&id=18575-9433425-kXu5cux&t=2