[BHS etree] STUDENT ACTIVITIES: Food and Money Donations, Volunteers Needed for Holiday Meal

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Nov 20 22:12:05 PST 2009

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Chris Young
[mailto:cyoung at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

The annual Holiday Meal for the homeless and hungry organized by BHS Student
Leadership will occur on Saturday, December 12, 2009.   In light of the
economic hard times we are expecting even more attendees this year, upwards
of 450 people.

To ensure this magnificent event is better than ever there are four key
contributions we are hoping for from the BHS parents and other members of
the local community:

1. Canned and packaged food: Please send well-sealed food items with your
student or drop them at BHS.  2nd period classes are engaging in a friendly
competition to see which class can give the most cans/packages.

2. Fresh food: If you would like to prepare something fresh or can donate a
cooked turkey or ham or other item on the day of the event please inform me
so we can plan our menu accordingly.  Butter is also something we are often
in need of for cooking on Friday and the day of the event.

3. Monetary donations: Cash or checks written to "BHS Leadership" will help
us with expenses such as helping to pay custodial or safety staff and needed
items to complete recipes.  If you work for a business or organization that
may be interested in donating, please encourage such a gesture.  Receipts
will be given (BHS Tax I.D. #946002113).

4. Cooking utensils: We are always especially in need of can openers, oven
mitts/pot holders, knives, spatulas and foil amongst other supplies.
Write your name on the item or on a piece of tape on the item and we will
hold them for you if you need to collect them later.

5. Volunteers: We need parents to help lead food preparation and service
teams, and to provide general assistance.  If you are interested in
volunteering please respond to me with the shift(s) for which you will work.
Please let us know if you have any special culinary or service talents (ex:
I can make delicious mashed potatoes!).

Shifts Needing Volunteers:
1. FRIDAY FUNSTERS: Friday, December 11 - 4:30pm-9:00pm - Food preparation
2. EARLY BIRDS: Saturday, December 12 - 7:30am-12:00pm - Food and service
area preparation
3. HOMESTRETCH HEROES: Saturday, December 12 - 12:00pm-4:30pm - Food service
and clean up

Thank you so much for any contribution you can make to the Holiday Meal. We
cannot do it without you.  It is one of the most important events of service
learning and engagement with the community for our student leaders and an
uplifting experience for our homeless and hungry neighbors.

Chris Young and the BHS Student Leadership Team
Contact: Chris Young, Director of Student Activities -
cyoung at berkeley.k12.ca.us, 510.644.8990