[BHS etree] BUSD: District and City Joint Work Session, Nov. 3

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Oct 26 15:08:12 PDT 2009

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Note: On November 3, 2009 the Board of Education and the City Council will
come together in a rare joint session for a presentation from the 2020
Vision Planning Team on the collaborative work they have been doing this
past year to address the achievement gap/student achievement. The Berkeley
Alliance has facilitated this group of community stakeholders, the BUSD and
the City of Berkeley, and they've provided the information below.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer

====

City Council & BUSD School Board Joint Work Session on the 2020 Vision to
Improve Student Achievement
Tuesday, November 3, 7:00 pm
Longfellow Middle School auditorium
1500 Derby Street (@ Sacramento Street), Berkeley

We're happy to announce that the 2020 Vision Planning Team will make a
presentation of the first round of recommendations for strategies,
priorities and goals to close the achievement and health gaps in our
community, as required by the 2020 Vision for Berkeley's Children and Youth
joint resolution passed in June 2008. This presentation represents many
months of collaborative work by community stakeholders on the All City
Equity Task Force (ACET), under the leadership of the 2020 Vision Planning
Team, from the collective belief that the academic success and wellbeing of
our children and youth are a community wide responsibility.

We encourage the public to come to this work session in person, or tune in
to Berkeley Cable Channel 33 to hear the recommendations as they are
presented to our elected city leaders. It is crucial that residents from all
corners of our community have a presence there, so everyone has the same
chance to inform themselves about 2020 Vision.

We are depending on you to pass this message on to your constituents,
friends, family, colleagues, and urge them to attend. We can send press
releases and notices forever, but the most effective way to reach out is
through personal relationships.

Throughout November and December, 2020 Vision speakers will be giving
presentations around the community to ensure that more of our community has
a voice in the direction of 2020 Vision. As soon as confirmed, we'll let you
know dates and locations so that you can share that information and
hopefully participate as well, giving thoughtful input, and helping guide
this important work!  To help you spread the word, we have fliers in English
and Spanish to hand out or post available at the Berkeley Alliance office.

Feel free to contact the Alliance either at (510) 845-7103 or
info at berkeleyalliance.org with any questions or input.  And to learn more
about 2020 Vision, visit www.berkeleyalliance.org and click on "2020
Vision."

Our children thank you.