[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Friday, Sept. 18

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Sep 17 15:35:52 PDT 2009

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
September 18, 2009

*Indicates new or updated item

ADMINISTRATION

*1. All tenth graders: if you want to participate in the dance performance
during the rally-please meet in front of the leadership office today,
Friday, during lunch!!!

2. PE waivers are due Friday, September 18th.  If you need a waiver, please
see your counselor.

*3. Become a famous graphic artist!  Create the Artwork and design for this
year's BHS Jazz t-shirt.  Artwork entries are due in the band room (A105) by
October 21.  Voting by BHS jazz students will be October 22nd. Pick up an
entry flyer in the band room today!

4. Sharpen your study skills with the Study Skills workshop offered Tuesday,
September 22nd from 7-8 pm in the BHS Food Court.

*5. Volunteer to tutor Middle School students in the Willard Mathworks
program and receive tutoring credit, community service and internship
credit.  Contact Karen Meryash, kspivey at ix.netcom.com

6. Purchase your PE clothes at the PE office in the old gym before school
and after school and during lunch.  T-shirts are $10 and sweatpants are $15.

7. Parents...want to learn how to go on our new Powerschool program? We will
give you Powerschool log-ins and access to the system at Back-to School
night. Please be patient until then. You will be able to log on and see your
child's attendance, grades, homework assignments and more. Back-to–School
night is October 1, 2009.

8. Yearbooks - Are on sale at myyear.com for $60 until September 25th then
they go up to $70.  Buy soon, they don't go down.

9. Students: BART tickets are in for September; please pick up your tickets
in room D224 at lunchtime.

SPORTS

1.  Log on KTVU.com and VOTE FOR Berkeley High to be the game of the week
this Friday when they play Castro Valley.  Support your team, and help them
win a chance to be on Channel Two Sports football.

CLUBS

1. CLUBS!! New and old--you need to register for this year, so we have your
up-to-date info.  Please do so by filling out a form in the Leadership
office, D148.  The deadline is September 25th to make our first club list
printing.

2. Calling all Freshmen!!  Your class needs leadership!  Come to the
Leadership office between the food court and counseling office to learn more
and pick up an application.  Applications are now due on Friday, September
25th.

*3. Did you know your student government is re-writing the Student Body
Constitution?  If you want to see the new draft document, it will be on
display next Monday thru Wednesday in the library and in the C Bldg display
case.  On Wednesday at 4pm in the School Board chamber, there will be a
hearing where you can share your input on your rules and rights of students
at Berkeley High.

4. Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors.  Come out to join the California
Scholarship Federation, Berkeley High School's Honor Society.  CSF is a
statewide organization that recognizes select high school students for high
standards of a scholarship, service and citizenship.  Pick up an application
in the College/Career Center and turn it in before the 25th to join.

5. Interested in designing your class t-shirt?  We need designs for every
class as soon as possible, so if you want your design to be featured please
drop off your design in D148 by Friday, Sept. 25th

6. Vocal Jazz Comes to Berkeley High: For decades, Berkeley High has had a
great instrumental jazz program.  Now you singers can get in on the action!
Join the new Berkeley High vocal jazz ensemble--sign up with the director,
Mr. Dailey, in room A206H in the music building.  It's just down the hall
from the band room upstairs. Rehearsals begin soon, so sign up today!

*7. If you are a sophomore, Junior or Senior and are interested in politics,
come to C112 at lunch on Friday to get information about a trip to
Washington, DC.  Interested students must attend weekly lunch meetings and
fundraisers.  See Mr Rodrigues in C112 with questions.

8. Chorus Club - Preliminary Meetings:  It's time to meet, sing, vote for
meeting times, help choose the type of music you'd like to sing, and eat
some delicious free snacks. TUESDAY (Sept.  22nd) in A201 (the band room) AT
LUNCH.

JOBS

*1. Looking for a job? Looking for Community Service hours?  Like to work
with children?  Need a tutor for a 3rd grader who needs help in
Grammar/Spelling.  See Belinda at the Administration office for details.

*2. ESTO ES UNA BUENA OPORTUNIDAD PARA UN ESTUDIANTE INTELIGENTE:  Mr. Roose
needs a Spanish proctor during period two or five.  If you passed at least
Spanish 3-4 and are interested in being a proctor, talk to Mr. Roose. He's
in portable #8.

3. Job Application Deadline Changed:  Berkeley Public Library is hiring
seven (7) students to work at the Central library and branches. These jobs
involve assisting Teen Services librarians in a variety of tasks and working
with library materials.  Salary: $10/hour.  The application period runs from
Sept. 8 through Sept. 21, 2009. Pick up and return the completed
applications to the 2nd floor Reference Desk at the Central Library.  You
must be at least 16 years old.  Successful applicants can expect to begin
work in mid-October.  For more info, call Kay at 510 981-6135 or email
bplteens at ci.berkeley.ca.us.

SENIOR/JUNIOR SECTION

*1. If you would like to participate in the upcoming Senior Rally dance, a
meeting will be held in the A bldg Modern dance room on Monday, September
21st at 4:15 pm.

2. COLLEGE VISITS:

FRIDAY, Sept. 18, 2009
10:40 am    U of Colorado, Boulder
 2:32 pm    U of Montana

MONDAY, Sept. 21, 2009
 9:57 am    University of Tulsa (OK)

3. Students who need fee waivers: We have ACT fee waivers.  We do not have
SAT fee waivers.  We will make an announcement when we receive the SAT fee
waivers.  See Ms. Price or Ms Sandberg before or after school if you need a
fee waiver for the ACT.

EVENTS/PERFORMANCES

1. Berkeley High families, Staff, Teachers, and Administrators:  You are
invited to the 2nd Annual BUSD Family Reunion, Saturday, September 19th at
Rosa Parks School.  The address is 920 Allston Way in Berkeley.  The event
begins at 11:00am and ends at 3:00 pm.  Please come out and support and
greet other BHS and BUSD families.  Enjoy a fun filled day with tons of fun,
'free food' and entertainment!  Hope to see you there!

*2. The BHS Spring Musical will be the Broadway Hit: "The 25th Annual Putnam
County Spelling Bee."  Auditions coming in October. Show opens April 7th.
See Mr. Winer for details!