[BHS etree] COLLEGE|CAREER: Advisor's Bulletin for Sept. 4, 2009

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 7 22:14:32 PDT 2009

College Advisor’s Bulletin
Friday, September 4, 2009

Welcome to Elisabeth Sandberg, our new College Advisor.

College Advisor contact information:  Angela Price,
Angela_Price at berkeley.k12.ca.us,
Elisabeth Sandberg, ESandberg at berkleylk12.ca.us

Office hours: 8 a.m.-4p.m.
Walk in hours for students: 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
REMINDER:  Senior Parent Night –Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 in the Library on
the second floor of the “D” building.  ( Parents only)
Seniors
The deadline to turn in the Senior Profile for students who are applying to
college for Early Action/Early decision was 9/4/09.  We have extended the
deadline to 9/8.  Seniors who have just recently transferred to Berkeley
High School should see Ms. Price or Ms. Sandberg as soon as possible.

Early Decision/Early Action:
Early decision plans are binding. Your child agrees to attend the college if
it accepts him and offers an adequate financial aid package. Although your
child can apply to only one college for early decision, he may apply to
other colleges through the regular admissions process. If he’s accepted by
his first-choice college early, your child must withdraw all other
applications. Usually, colleges insist on a nonrefundable deposit well
before May 1.
Early action plans are similar but are not binding, unlike early decision.
If your child has been accepted, he can choose to commit to the college
immediately, or wait until the spring. Under these plans, your child may
also apply early action to other colleges. Usually, your child has until the
late spring to let the college know his decision.
Single-choice early action is a new option offered by a few colleges. This
plan works the same way as other early action plans, but candidates may not
apply early (either early action or early decision) to any other school.
Your child can still apply to other schools and is not required to give a
final answer of acceptance until the regular decision deadline.
Senior Class visits:  Ms. Price and Ms. Sandberg will be coming to speak to
all seniors in their English classes the week of 9/14.. We will review the
college process and hand out information that will guide you through the
college process for both private and public colleges.  If you are absent
from class on the day we come, your English teacher will have your handouts.
TESTING:
SAT
We have not received fee waivers for low income students from College Board.
We hope to get them into the College Center  on Wednesday, Sept. 9.  If you
are eligible for a fee waiver please see Ms. Price or Ms. Sandberg in the
College Center on or after Sept. 9.
College Board has extended the registration deadline for the Oct. 10 test
date. The new deadline is September 25.
SAT and Subject Tests Dates and Registration Deadlines:
Test Dates			Registration Deadlines	Late Registration
deadlines
October 10, 2009 		Sept. 9 (extended to Sept. 25)	    After
Sept. 25th
 November 7, 2009		October 1
Oct. 15
 December 5, 2009 		October  30			    Nov. 12

 ACT
ACT Test Dates and Registration Deadlines
Test Dates	            Registration Deadlines
Late Fee required
September 12, 2009   August 7, 2009
August 8 – 21, 2009
October 24, 2009        September 18, 2009
Sept.19 – Oct. 2, 2009
December 12, 2009     November 6, 2009
November 7 – 20, 2009

We have registration packets in the College Center for the ACT Test.

Sophomores and Juniors

The PSAT will be given on Wednesday, Oct. 14 at Berkeley High School. The
test is mandatory for all sophomores.  We strongly recommend that all
Juniors take the test as well.  There will be a fee for juniors taking the
test. We will post
registration dates and fees for Juniors as soon as they are determined.

This test is administered by Berkeley High School teachers and  is not
opened to
students outside the district.
About PSAT/NMSQT
The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT)
is a program cosponsored by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship
Corporation (NMSC). It's a standardized test that provides firsthand
practice for the SAT®. It also gives you a chance to enter NMSC scholarship
programs and gain access to college and career planning tools.
The PSAT/NMSQT measures:
*	Critical reading skills
*	Math problem-solving skills
*	Writing skills
You have developed these skills over many years, both in and out of school.
This test doesn't require you to recall specific facts from your classes. It
also is great practice for the SAT.
Juniors
In order to be considered for the programs below you must take The PSAT on
Wednesday October 14.
National Merit Scholarship Program and The National Achievement Programs
The National Merit® Scholarship Program is an academic competition for
recognition and scholarships that began in 1955. High school students enter
the National Merit Program by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit
Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMST)) is a test which serves as an
initial screen of approximately 1.5 million entrants each year–and by
meeting published program entry/participation requirements.

The National Achievement® Scholarship Program is an academic competition
established in 1964 to provide recognition for outstanding Black American
high school students. Black students may enter both the National Achievement
Program and the National Merit® Program by taking the Preliminary
SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) and meeting
other published requirements for participation. The two annual programs are
conducted concurrently but operated and funded separately. A student's
standing is determined independently in each program. Black American
students can qualify for recognition and be honored as Scholars in both the
National Merit Program and the National Achievement Program, but can receive
only one monetary award from NMSC.