[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Textbooks/mailing/summer school registration/coffee

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jun 4 14:55:46 PDT 2009

Please do not contact the e-tree; contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

School is coming to an end but not the need for your help. Below are several opportunities.  If you can help, we will be very happy.

1. Our Textbook Manager Robert Stiles needs your help BIG TIME Tuesday through Thursday, June 9, 10 and 11. At that time students will be sitting for their final exams.  If the teachers have not already collected the class books, they will be doing so before the exam.  We need volunteers that can put on tennis shoes, push carts, and stack books!

We have divided the day into 1.5 hours shifts to facilitate parking in the many two hour zones around our school BUT if you can come for a longer time we will have some parking passes to hand out. The shifts are 10 to 11:30, 11:30 to 1 and 1 to 2:30. Please let Robert know when you can come and copy our volunteer coordinator Janet Huseby. Their email addresses are:
rstiles at bekeley.k12.ca.us
jhuseby at pacbell.net

WHY IT IS IMPORTANT: Every year Berkeley High loses thousands and thousands of dollars due to lost and damaged textbooks. In the past our book budget has been $300,000 annually. Roughly a third was devoted to replacing textbooks: science books cost up to $150, math books clock in at $90, and history books can go for $100.  We are talking big bucks! And, to make it worse, this year we have no money in our budget for replacing lost textbooks. It is more important than ever that we collect every book possible. We need your help.

2. Summer School Registration. Jorge Melgoza and Kristin Glenchur, our Summer School Principals, need help Tuesday, June 16 from 7:30 to 10:30 in the school cafeteria with summer school registration.  If you can help, for all or part of the time, please email Mr. Melgoza at: jorge_melgoza at berkeley.k12.ca.us and copy Janet at jhuseby at pacbell.net.

WHY IT IS IMPORTANT: Many of our students who are enrolled in summer school need the classes they will be taking in order to graduate. A smooth, well-run registration sets the tone and affirms to our students that summer school is an important academic endeavor and that we as a community care about them.

3. Ms Antoinette Cooks in our counseling center needs help for a few hours on either Monday or Tuesday, June 29 or 30 with an important mailing. If you can help, please contact Ms. Cooks and let her know what time you will be coming in. Her email is: Antoinette_Cooks at berkeley.k12.ca.us

4.  FINALLY, I need you to come (or rather would LIKE it if you came), along with everyone else who has volunteered during this school year, to our Administration volunteer coffee tomorrow morning, Friday, June 5 from 8 to 10 in the morning. This is an important chance for our principal and vice principals to personally thank the many many many people who have in many ways contributed to Berkeley High this year. The coffee will be held in the main administration building. The front desk will direct you to the location! See you tomorrow. -- Janet