[BHS etree] COLLEGE|CAREER: Advisor's Bulletin for May 28, 2009

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed May 27 17:41:24 PDT 2009

College Advisor's Bulletin
Thursday, May 28, 2009

SAT WORD OF THE DAY:  CANDID -- open; honest; frank.  My teacher doubted that I was being candid when I told my story about Elvis and the UFO.

FOR ALL STUDENTS

* Homework helper needed or a 9th grade girl. Are you good at math/language arts and/or Spanish? Prefer a junior who can assist with homework and help organize assignments. We live 8 blocks from BHS. Will pay $12.00 an hour for approx 1-1.5 hrs per night. Interviews in June.  Occasional hours in July/ August. Weekly starting in September.  Call Micky Duxbury: 529-6328.

SUMMER ENRICHMENT PROGRAM IN COMPUTER SCIENCE -- Open to young women currently in 10th or 11th grade who have an interest in the field of technology.  No prior computer experience is necessary.  Sponsored by the University of San Francisco.  Program dates:  June 15-19, 10:00 am -- 3:00 pm.  Application fee - $20, cost of program -- FREE!  For more information, go to http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~sep2009/ or contact Sami Rollins at 415-422-2024 or sep at cs.usfca.edu

HOMEWORK HELPER NEEDED:  Looking for homework helpers that are good at math for a 9th grader entering Oakland School of the Arts in the fall.  Looking for mature student who can help assist with  school work and organizing assignments. We are in central Berkeley about 8 blocks from BHS.  Will pay $12.00 an hour for approx 1.5 hrs per night. Call Micky Duxbury: 529-6328.

FOR JUNIORS

ATHLETES -- Juniors who want to play Division I or Division II sports in college need to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse at https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/common/ .   They also need to instruct College Board or ACT to send their SAT or ACT scores to the NCAA Eligibility Center.  Finally, they will need to turn in a Transcript Request Form to our registrar, Barbara Mellion (D173).  Mark “FINAL JUNIOR TRANSCRIPT” across the top of the form and paperclip the request to a stamped business size envelope addressed to the NCAA Eligibility Center.  You must use Berkeley High School (1980 Allston Way, Berkeley 94704) as the return address on the envelope or the Eligibility Center will not accept them.  If you have any questions about how to complete any of these tasks, see your College Advisor at lunch or after school.

SUMMER PROGRAMS

Outward Bound West -- This program offers many options for short and long term programs.  Cost varies with the program, but they offer many scholarships.  Information at www.obwest.org .  Rolling admission.

A list of summer programs is available by going to the College/Career Center website - http://bhs.berkeley.net/index.php?page=home-2 -- then clicking on "Summer Programs 2009."

FOR SENIORS

SENIOR EXIT REPORTS -- If you haven’t turned in the Exit Report in D221, do so NOW.  The information contained in these reports is very important so that we can have accurate data of the future plans of all seniors and assess how Berkeley High is doing in college admissions.  No information on an individual student will be shared without the student’s permission.  These forms were distributed in all senior English classes.  Additional forms are available in D221.

Tuesday, June 2 -- Last day for seniors to turn in a Transcript Request Form to Ms. Mellion in D173 so that we can send an official transcript to the school they will be attending in the fall.  Write “FINAL TRANSCRIPT” in capital letters across the top of the form and paperclip it to a stamped (postage has gone up to 44 cents!) business size envelope addressed to the college, with Berkeley High School (1980 Allston Way, Berkeley 94704) as the return address.  If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must sign the request form.  All colleges require that students send them a final transcript confirming their senior year grades.

Southwest Airlines and the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) open travel program for college students -- Dandole Alas a Tu Exito/Giving Flight to Your Success.  A panel of judges comprised of college professors and education advocates from coast to coast will gather in the summer to select the students who will receive free travel to their colleges and universities.  Each student is eligible to receive from one to four tickets that the student or an immediate family member can use in the Fall 2009 to travel to/from a college or university.  The travel tickets are awarded to undergraduate and graduate Hispanic students with socio-economic need who journey away from home to pursue higher education.  Essay required.  To view the criteria for the 2009 award program, www.southwest.com .  Applications available at http://www.hacu.net/hacu/Lanzate_EN.asp?SnID=33099403. Deadline: Friday, June 5, 2009.

SCHOLARSHIPS

For a complete list of scholarship applications available in the College/Career Center, go to http://bhs.berkeley.net/index.php?page=scholarships.

Sallie Mae Unmet Need Scholarship Program -- Open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are accepted or enrolled as full-time undergraduate students at approved, accredited institution, who have a minimum 2.5 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale), whose combined family income is $30,000 or less and whose financial aid packages fall more than $1,000 short of students’ financial need. Recipients will be selected based on financial need. Unmet Need Scholarships range from $1,000 to $3,800.  Deadline:  May 31.  Apply at http://www.thesalliemaefund.org/smfnew/scholarship/Unmet_need.html.

Salvadoran-American Leadership and Educational Fund (SALEF) -- Open to graduating seniors with a minimum GPA of 2.5 who are of Salvadoran, Central American, or other Latino ethnicity, have financial need, and have a history of community service and involvement.  Students may be either graduating high school seniors or current undergraduate, graduate and professional students.  Community college students are eligible if they are AB540 students.  Students must reside and study in the San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles Area (specifically South Central Los Angeles, Pico Union, East Los Angeles) and San Fernando Valley. Recipients must be able to help other students through mentoring, community service, or tutoring after receiving the award.  The application is available at www.salef.org and in D221. The scholarship is open to all students regardless of immigration status. Scholarship:  $500-$5,000.  Deadline:  June 30.

Univision Exito Escolar -- Open to current Latino seniors who reside in Alameda, Contra Costa, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County. Essays in English and Spanish are required.  Scholarship amounts vary from $500 to $2,000. US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS NOT REQUIRED.  Applications available in D221.  Applications must be received at the Univision office by 5:00 pm on July 31.

*New to the bulletin today