[BHS etree] STUDENT COURT: Recruiting for Next Year

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue May 5 15:13:34 PDT 2009

Please do not contact the e-tree; contact David Luu
david_luu at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Hello BHS Community!

We are looking for the next generation of advocates! Students who become student court advocates will learn how to interview offenders and victims, craft statements, speak at trials, and help make a difference!

Student Court advocates will have the chance to work on real suspension cases at BHS. They will work on behalf of the respondents (that's what we call offenders) or the community (teachers, victims, administrators). Both sides will propose consequences that serve the needs of the respondent, while a student jury will decide which components will be a part of the respondent's Alternative Consequence Plan.

The class takes place 7th period on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and trials take place on Thursdays from 4:30-6:30 and alternate Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30. Our advocates get training in courtroom procedures and case preparation from UC Berkeley law students.  They will also receive 5 Leadership credits for their full participation, and will have the chance to work with professionals in the legal field. Students of all grades and achievement levels are encouraged to join. Commitment, passion, and ability to follow through are predictors of success in the program.

Interested students can call David Luu at 415-816-5112, email him at david_luu at berkeley.k12.ca.us, or go to H104 to speak to him in person.