[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 3/11/09
bhs at idiom.com
bhs at idiom.com
Tue Mar 10 18:17:18 PDT 2009
STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
March 11, 2009
*1. Want to run for a leadership position? Come to an informational meeting and pick up an application Thursday, March 12 in conference room B. There are many open positions that can be filled by students who are new to leadership. We would love to hear more voices.
*2. Support your senior class and bring a flyer to Jamba Juice on Bancroft. 20% off your purchase will go to Senior Class leadership to help pay for the prom. Make sure to bring one of the flyers we will be passing out this week to use for your order.
*3. Attention Students and Staff: All lost and found items will be held until Spring Break, March 31st. All remaining items after March 31, 2009 will be donated. Please come and check for lost items especially backpacks. A watch was found in the staff parking lot. If you lost one please check with Parent Resource Center room D224 -- you must describe it!
4. On Saturday, March 14th, the Princess Project, a local non-profit, will be giving away free prom dresses by appointment only in groups of 10. If you would like a free dress come to D224 at lunchtime this week to sign up for a location. Dresses will also be available on the 21st.
5. Sign-ups for the 2009 AP Exams now through Friday, March 13 during lunch (11:30 to 12:05) and after school (3:30 to 4 p.m.) at the Donahue Gym ticket window. The tests will be in May. Students will be receiving registration forms and information about fees and fee waivers from their AP teachers. Please encourage your students to sign up early.
*6. RISE will have an all you can eat crab fundraiser on March 27th from 6pm to 8 pm. Please help support our students. Tickets on sale in room G111. Teachers please post flyers in your room. Thanks.
1. Cheerleaders: Those of you who are still interested in becoming a Yellowjacket cheerleader for 2009-2010 - Come to an informational meeting today in the dance room from 3:30 - 4:00 pm. You can pick up an application from the Athletic Office. New tryout dates are March 16, 17 and 18. For more information contact Nichelle at 510-776-8194.
*2. Listen -- Earphone English. We are about to listen to Twilight and you guys are welcome to come by C124 at lunch today to listen to the book while having lunch with us.
*3. Are you funny? The Jacket's April Fools issue is coming up and we need you. Submissions are open to all BHS students from all grades, schools, and programs. All articles will be published under pseudonyms. Stories are due March 20.
*4. CHORUS CLUB - Rehearsal this week is at 4.30pm on Thursday, in the Band Room. We have CONCERTS coming up on Sunday March 29 (12-3pm) and in June and need all our singers at rehearsals. There is an extra pre-concert REHEARSAL on Saturday March 28th in the Community Theater. Please also sign up with Trelawny if you are interested in some SPECIAL SESSIONS for beginning/intermediate singers on music reading and rhythm, or for advanced singers for small ensemble singing. Also, the next club organizing MEETING is Thursday March 26 at 5.30pm. Any questions: Contact ianfarnkopf at pacbell.net.
*1. Track season is now in full swing and Berkeley High Senior Austin Snyder started the season off with bang by winning the Boys 3200m run at the Skyline Invitation meet in Oakland with a fine time of 9:45.18.
This week the team will have a non conference dual meet against San Leandro which is now coached by former Berkeley High standout Aisha Margain. The team will send a small elite unit out to the San Rafael Twilight Relays this upcoming Saturday March 14th. For those that are interested it is not too late to sign up. Pick up athletic packets from the athletic director's office, and come and enjoy the season.
*2. Calling all Berkeley High Junior Athletes: Do you want to make a difference in the Berkeley High Athletic community? Do you like to help others? Do you need tutoring hours? Come to an informational meeting at lunch in C325 to see how you can get involved with a new athlete to athlete tutoring program.
Looking for a student to help with landscaping and light construction at my home, Monday and Thursday afternoons. Can be a guy or a girl, but must be strong enough to carry 50-lb bags of concrete up our front stairs, and able to dig and do other physical tasks. Chance to learn some construction skills. Pay $9.00 per hour. Hours can be flexible. Our home is in north Berkeley near Solano Avenue. Call 524-7044, leave name and phone. Richard Colton
*1. SENIORS URGENT! Do you still need to order a cap and gown? Time is running out. Achievers will be at Berkeley High taking cap and gown orders on Saturday, March 14th from 10 am to 2 pm. outside the main box office. If you have questions please call us directly at 408-441-7200.
*2. STUDENTS ADMITTED TO UC MERCED – Thursday, March 19, 12:20 pm in the College/Career Center. Come to a meeting with an admissions officer to get all of your questions answered about the campus. Sign up in D221 to attend.
3. San Francisco City College Culinary Arts and Hospitality
Management Program is now accepting applications for fall 2009. Degrees
in the hospitality industry, culinary arts, food service management and
hotel management are available. The program is certified by the American
Culinary Federation. For more information and an application, go to
www.ccsf.edu/cahs or call 415-239-3152. Deadline: April 13.
1. Students Rising Above – Open to juniors from a low income family who have overcome obstacles that are not of their own making, have a GPA of 3.0 or above, live in the Bay Area and are planning on attending a four year college. The scholarship covers all college expenses not covered by other scholarships or financial aid. In addition, students are given assistance in applying to college, help with dental and healthcare appointments, summer internships, and a mentor. Applications are available in D221 and at http://studentsrisingabove.org/student-scholarships . Deadline: April
2. FREE mock SAT reasoning test. Saturday, March 14, 8am-2pm, 210 Wheeler Hall, UC Berkeley, sponsored by the UC Berkeley People's Test Preparation Service. Prepare for your upcoming SAT! It is a great opportunity to have a "feel" for the exam before having to take the "real thing." They will be providing the exams, but bring your own pencils and calculators. You will receive your score the same day! This event is free, and all grades are welcome to attend.
3. Nordstrom's Scholarship – Open to juniors who have a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 2.7; have made a substantial contribution to the community; are involved in school activities; require financial assistance to attend college and will be eligible to attend a four-year college or university in the U.S. Deadline: June 1. Award: $10,000 scholarship paid over four years at $2,500 per year. Applications available in D221.
*1. Class of 2010, Jr. Prom royalty is looking for you! Do you want to be Jr. Prom King or Queen? Come by D148 for more details.
*2. Come see "The Fountains of Mirabelle," a new one-act play by Berkeley High students Dylan Mattingly and Eli Wirtschafter this Thursday and Friday in the Black box theater room A202. Shows are at 6:30 and 8:00pm both nights.
3. WANT TO BE PART OF ONE OF BROADWAY'S BIGGEST HITS? YMTC announces auditions for its summer production of LES MISERABLES. Fabulous music, wonderful story, lots of principal roles, big singing ensemble. Auditions (by appointment) March 16 & 17. For more information, checkout www.ymtcberkeley.org. Tuition assistance available.
More information about the BHS