[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 2/27/09

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Feb 26 16:52:41 PST 2009

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
February 27, 2009

*New or updated item

ADMINISTRATION

*1.  Celebrate!  Monday, March 2, is Dr. Seuss' birthday.  Come to the library to enjoy the display and read some of his books.  In addition, teen librarians from Berkeley Public Library will be in our library Monday during lunch to talk about their programs designed for you!

*2.  Important!  If you have a crate for the Holiday meal in your classroom please return it to the leadership office (D148) or let Edith Jordan know. We need all crates returned for the STAR test.  Thank you for your support.

3.  BSEP Applications are now available for pick-up.  Apply for a BSEP grant for the 2009-2010 school year.  Deadline for the applications will be March 2, 2009.  Applications are available at the front desk with Belinda McDaniel.  You may also request an online copy.

4. Powershift (http://powershift09.org/) is a youth mobilization initiative that aims to empower 10,000 young people to demonstrate on Capitol Hill, February 27-March 2, with the purpose of holding our elected officials accountable for rebuilding our economy and reclaiming our future through bold climate and clean energy policy. If you or someone you know would like to go, it's possible to fundraise the whole cost. To contact the Bay Area delegation: Nina Rizzo at 415-575-5538.

5.  Attention Class of 2010- Junior Prom tickets on sale for $50.00, through today in office D173.  See Mrs. Reed.  Pick up your guest pass from the leadership office (D148).  Remember the tickets will go up in price after Friday.

CLUBS

1.  Cheerleaders:  Those of you who are still interested in becoming a Yellowjacket cheerleader for 2009-2010 -- You can pick up an application from the Athletic Office.  New tryout dates are March 16,17 and 18th.  For more information contact Nichelle at 510-776-8194.

2.  Hey everyone!  Come to the senior steps this Friday Feb. 27 for the APIC bakesale.  We will be serving home cooked baked goods and delicious Thai food.  Come out at lunch and enjoy great affordable cuisines.

SUMMER PROGRAMS

1.  Sophomore and Juniors - UC Berkeley High School Biotech Training Program offers an 8 week internship program for students interested in learning about biotechnology.  Students are paid a stipend of $2,500. The program is open to current sophomores and juniors who are US citizens or permanent residents from low income families and/or a family with little or no history of attending college.  Students must have an interest in science, technology or medicine and be ready to work hard.  Applications are available in D221.  Deadline:  March 2.

2.  WANT TO BE PART OF ONE OF BROADWAY'S BIGGEST HITS?  YMTC announces auditions for its summer production of LES MISERABLES.  Fabulous
music, wonderful story, lots of principal roles, big singing ensemble. Auditions (by appointment) March 16 & 17.  For more information, checkout www.ymtcberkeley.org. Tuition assistance available.

SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS

ACT TEST DATES - February 27 is the regular registration deadline for the April 4 ACT.  Fee waivers for low income students are available in D221.

SENIORS

San Francisco City College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management Program is now accepting applications for Fall 2009. Degrees in the hospitality industry, culinary arts, food service management and hotel management are available.  The program is certified by the American Culinary Federation.  For more information and an application, go to www.ccsf.edu/cahs or call 415-239-3152. Deadline: April 13.

EVENT/PERFORMANCE

ITPs, Independent Theater Project opens today, Friday February 27 at 7:30 pm.  Three one-act plays directed by Berkeley High Seniors, completely student run and independent. The shows are this Friday and Saturday and next Friday and Saturday.  You don't want to miss it!  Hillside Club -- 2286 Cedar St.  Tickets are $5 for students and $12 for general.