[BHS etree] ADMIN: Incident on campus

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Feb 26 12:28:20 PST 2009

contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

Acting Principal Maggie Heredia-Peltz writes.

February 26, 2009
Dear BHS Families and Students:

Wednesday afternoon a BHS student reported being threatened by another
BHS student who allegedly brandished a gun or an imitation firearm at
the end of the lunch period.  As soon as the school administration
learned of incident we immediately investigated the incident.  No
weapons were found on the campus.

Our safety team worked closely with the victim, the victim's family
and the Berkeley Police Department. This cooperation resulted in the
identification and apprehension of the alleged perpetrator that
afternoon.

Be assured that the student will not be allowed to return to our
campus unless and until the investigations conducted by both BHS and
BPD clear the student.  Should the allegations prove to be true, the
student will be expelled in accordance with state law.

We appreciate your support in helping us to keep our campus safe by
continuing to report any concerns regarding your student's safety
immediately to an administrator, safety officer, counselor, and/or
staff member.  I want to assure you that our entire BHS staff is
committed to maintaining a safe environment at this school.

Respectfully,

Maggie Heredia-Peltz
Acting Principal