[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 2/20/09

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Feb 19 21:32:49 PST 2009

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
February 20, 2009

*New or updated item

ADMINISTRATION

1.  BSEP Applications are now available for pick-up.  Apply for a BSEP
grant for the 2009-2010 school year.  Deadline for the applications
will be February 27, 2009.  Applications are available at the front
desk with Belinda McDaniel.  You may also request an online copy.

2.  BSEP meeting will take place on February 24th!  Students, parents,
and staff we need all members present!  Very important meeting.

3.  BART ticket orders will be taken on Wednesday, February 25th and
Thursday, February 26th at lunchtime only in D224.  Ticket price is
$16.00 for $32.00 value ticket.  Cash only please.  No orders will be
taken after lunch on Thursday, February 26th.

4. Powershift (http://powershift09.org/ ) is a youth mobilization
initiative that aims to empower 10,000 young people to demonstrate on
Capitol Hill, February 27-March 2, with the purpose of holding our
elected officials accountable for rebuilding our economy and
reclaiming our future through bold climate and clean energy policy. If
you or someone you know would like to go, it's possible to fundraise
the whole cost. To contact the Bay Area delegation: Nina Rizzo at
415-575-5538.

*5.  Rise at Berkeley High is having a fundraiser today (2/20/09) at
Baja Fresh.  Please support us by eating at Baja Fresh anytime this
Friday between 10:30 am to 9:30 pm.  We will be passing out flyers
during lunch time on the corner of Allston Way/Milvia St.  Please
present the flyer at Baja Fresh when you are ordering and we will
receive 15% of the proceeds from food purchased.

*6.  Attention Class of 2010- Junior Prom tickets go on sale for
$50.00, Monday, 2/23 through Friday 2/29 in office D173.  See Mrs.
Reed.  Pick up your guest pass from the leadership office (D148).
Remember the tickets will go up in price after Friday.

CLUBS

*1.  Cheerleaders:  Those of you who are still interested in becoming
a Yellowjacket cheerleader for 2009-2010 -- Come to an informational
meeting on Wednesday in the dance room from 3:30-4:00 pm.  You can
pick up an application from the Athletic Office.  New tryout dates are
March 16,17 and 18th.  For more information contact Nichelle at
510-776-8194.

SUMMER PROGRAMS

1.  Sophomore and Juniors - UC Berkeley High School Biotech Training
Program offers an 8 week internship program for students interested in
learning about biotechnology.  Students are paid a stipend of $2,500.
The program is open to current sophomores and juniors who are US
citizens or permanent residents from low income families and/or a
family with little or no history of attending college.  Students must
have an interest in science, technology or medicine and be ready to
work hard.  Applications are available in D221.  Deadline:  March 2.

2.  YMTC announces two Summer 2009 Programs: Les Miserables, by
audition; open to students entering grade 7 and up in Fall 2009.
Information meeting: Thursday, February 26th, 6:30 pm at Willard
Middle School in the Metal shop theater. Also, Acting in Musical
Theater- Summer Week-long Workshop.  Questions please call
510-595-5514 or email info at ymtcberkeley.org.

SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS

1.  ACT TEST DATES - February 27 is the regular registration deadline
for the April 4 ACT.  Fee waivers for low income students are
available in D221.

SENIORS

1.  San Francisco City College Culinary Arts and Hospitality
Management Program is now accepting applications for Fall 2009.
Degrees in the hospitality industry, culinary arts, food service
management and hotel management are available.  The program is
certified by the American Culinary Federation.  For more information
and an application, go to www.ccsf.edu/cahs or call 415-239-3152.
Deadline: April 13.

EVENT/PERFORMANCE

1.  Attention BHS Students and Staff: On Saturday, February 21, 2009,
Mr Barry Kriesburg of UC Berkeley and President of the National
Council on Crime and Delinquency will moderate a 2-hour discussion on
"Saving Our Children in a Time of Crisis."  There will be a panel of
distinguished youth advocates from the Bay Area as well as students.
Please come out and join in this lively dialogue pertaining to issues
impacting our youth from 10am to 12 noon- BHS Library.

*2.  Sign up to audition for next year's Advanced Theater projects
class, which will put on the fall and spring plays next year.  The
fall play will be a documentary theatre piece which we will create
about the experiences of freshman at BHS.  The spring play,
"Metamorphosis," is a scripted Tony Award-winning play.  Auditions for
the Advanced Theatre Projects class will be Friday, February 20th
after school in room A203.  You must prepare a monologue and be ready
to do some improve and movement.  The sign-up sheet is on the call
board in the A building.  If you have questions see Mrs. Perry in
A203.