[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 2/9/09

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Feb 6 17:42:26 PST 2009

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
February 9, 2009

*New or updated item

ADMINISTRATION

*1.  Thinking about someone special?  Buy teen-Valentines today (February 9th) at lunch in the C building gallery.  All money supports Berkeley International High School.

2.  BSEP Applications are now available for pick-up.  Apply for a BSEP grant for the 2009-2010 school year.  Deadline for the applications will be February 27, 2009.  Applications are available at the front desk with Belinda McDaniel.  You may also request an online copy.

3.  New to BHS or did you lose your BHS Organizer?  Need an extra? There are a bunch of 08-09 organizers at the front office. Go to the volunteer desk in the Main Office to pick one up.  The cost is $3.

4.  Yearbooks on sale in H102B.  Buy them soon they are selling out. Yearbooks are $70 or $58 for free reduced lunch until February 15th.

5.  Willard MathWorks needs you this Spring.  Come tutor on Tuesdays and receive tutoring, community service and internship credit. Mandatory training Tuesday, February 10th in H115 (Mr. Goldman's room).

6.  PE sweatpants are here!  $15.00, you can buy them before and after school and during lunchtime at the PE office in the old gym.

7.  Students: Please join us in the 2009 African American Read-In.  It is sponsored by the nation's English teachers, and coincides with Black History month.  We proudly encourage you to read African American writers this month as we celebrate literature and literacy.  We have lots of books on display for you to choose from if you don't already have a favorite. Please stop by the Library in the D building and join the Read-In.  Stay tuned for more ways to participate.

CLUBS

1.  Do you want to be an opinion and sports or entertainment columnist for the Jacket? Write two funny,incisive or otherwise fascinating sample columns (about 500 words each) and email them to Megan Winkleman at mwin3719 at sbcglobal.net before February 9th.

2.  Find being a teen frustrating? Want a place to talk about teen issues?  Come by room H110 at lunch for an ongoing social group/discussion group. Snacks will be provided.  Ongoing on Tuesdays.

*3.  Cooking Club rescheduled!  Listen up -- this week we will be meeting on Tuesday, February 10th at 3:30 pm in H106.  We then will take a walk down to the Farmers' Market to explore.  We will hold our heart day feast on Wednesday, February 18th.  More info on that to come. Hope to see you there!

SUMMER PROGRAMS

1.  Sophomore and Juniors - UC Berkeley High School Biotech Training Program offers an 8 week internship program for students interested in learning about biotechnology.  Students are paid a stipend of $2,500. The program is open to current sophomores and juniors who are US citizens or permanent residents from low income families and/or a family with little or no history of attending college.  Students must have an interest in science, technology or medicine and be ready to work hard.  Applications are available in D221.  Deadline:  March 2.

*2.  YMTC announces two Summer 2009 Programs: Les Miserables, by audition;
open to students entering grade 7 and up in Fall 2009.  Information
meeting: Thursday, February 26th, 6:30 pm at Willard Middle School in the
Metal shop theater. Also, Acting in Musical Theater- Summer Week-long
Workshop.  Questions please call 510-595-5514 or email
info at ymtcberkeley.org.

SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS

*1.  FREE Bay Area College Tour sponsored by the Black Recruitment and Retention Center at UC Berkeley.  Thursday, March 5-Saturday, March 6 includes visits to four universities in the Bay Area. All transportation, housing and food are included.  Students will get an inside look into the admissions process, high school preparation and college life. Applications available in D221.  For more information, call 510-642-6224 or e-mail Brytanee Brown at bbrown89 at berkeley.edu.  Postmark deadline:  February 17.

*2.  FREE SAT PREP CLASS – Class will be held Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:45-5:45 in Room H203 beginning on Tuesday, February 10.  Classes are led by members of the People's Test Preparation Service from UC Berkeley.  No registration is necessary – just show up to enroll.  For more information,
go to www.ptps.org.

3.  SAT/ACT TEST DATES - February 10 is the regular registration deadline for the March 14 SAT.  February 27 is the regular registration deadline for the April 4 ACT. These are the first tests recommended for juniors.  Fee waivers for low income students are available in D221.

SENIORS

*1.  San Francisco City College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management Program is now accepting applications for Fall 2009.  Degrees in the hospitality industry, culinary arts, food service management and hotel management are available.  The program is certified by the American Culinary Federation.  For more information and an application, go to www.ccsf.edu/cahs or call 415-239-3152.  Deadline: April 13.
FOR JUNIORS

2.  Did you apply to Sacramento State?  Come to a meeting on Tuesday, February 10 at 9:30 (second period) in the College/Career Center to speak with their admissions officer and get all of your questions answered about the college, the status of your application, assessment testing, orientation and more.  Sign up in D221 to attend.

PERFORMANCES

1.  The Student Court wants you to come to our trial across the street at the "Old City Hall."  Come early for snacks and sign up to be on the jury.  We're having a trial Thursday at 4:30pm.  Hope to see you there!

2.  VAGINA! Come to Vagina Monologues- February 12,13 at 8 pm at the Ashby Stage.  Performed and directed by BHS students!  Tickets are selling out!  Get yours at brownpapertickets.com.