[BHS etree] BUSD: East Bay School LGBTQ Welcoming and Inclusive School Forum

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Feb 4 22:55:54 PST 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

As many of you may know, our District has been in the forefront of the
development of Welcoming and Inclusive Schools. Our Board of Education
has passed ground breaking policies and just this past weekend about
50 BUSD teachers and staff participated in a day of Welcoming Schools
training that was co-sponsored by the Berkeley Federation of Teachers.
Our Family Coalition, who have guided us through the process and
provided our staff training, asked me to share this important training
with our parent community.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer
==================

Dear Berkeley School Community:

I wanted to tell you about the exciting East Bay School LGBTQ
Welcoming and Inclusive School Forum coming up on February 12th at
Chabot Elementary in Oakland from 5:30-8:30.  This is event is for
parents/caregivers, teachers, staff and administrators interested in
making your schools safer and more inclusive of lesbian, gay,
bisexual, transgender and queer
(LGBTQ) people and our families.

At these forum, parents, teachers, and principals will engage in
conversations about creating, maintaining, and strengthening schools
for all our children. This is a great opportunity to strategize about
curriculum addressing family diversity and gender role issues, and
look at anti-harassment policies and anti-bullying efforts. After the
passage of Prop 8, we need these forums more than ever to help create
a better understanding about LGBTQ people and build safe and inclusive
schools.

East Bay School LGBTQ Welcoming and Inclusive School Forum
Chabot Elementary School, 6686 Chabot Rd, Oakland
February 12th
Time: 5:30-8:30

Please call Michelle at 415-981-1960 if you have any questions or to
register for the event.

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320 Cell: 510-472-3811