[BHS etree] ADMIN: Incoming 9th Graders from Private Schools

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Jan 13 21:31:31 PST 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Janet Huseby [mailto:jhusbey at pacbell.net]

Next Steps for Families coming to Berkeley High School from non-BUSD middle schools:

The dates for registration for families from non-BUSD schools are fast approaching. We would like to suggest the following guidelines to make the admissions and registration process smoother for all people involved.

Entering Berkeley High School from a middle school outside the BUSD is a two-step process that includes:
1.	Admissions
2.	Course Selection

The following is an outline of how and when to begin the process:

Admissions (step 1)

To begin the admissions processes, sometime after Wednesday, January 21, 2009 please, fill out the register form online at http://bhs.berkeley.net/ProspectiveFamilies.

If you do not have computer access, a computer will be provided at the time of your registering/admissions appointment, but it will be faster if you have submitted your information electronically before going to the Admissions Office. Free computer access is available at all Berkeley libraries.  After you fill out the register form please attend one of the following admissions/registering dates below.

Beginning on February 9, 2009, students coming to Berkeley High School from non-BUSD schools can begin registering at the admissions office at 1835 Allston Way in Berkeley (510) 644-6504. The Admissions Office is open from 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm.

In order to minimize wait times, we are advising that new families adhere to the following schedule for the admissions process:

If the student’s last name begins with…	Please come to admissions on…
A-F							February 9
G-L							February 10
M-S							February 11
T-Z							February 12

If you are absolutely unable to make your assigned time we will accommodate you; however, please keep in mind that adherence to the schedule above will help us manage the volume of students processing each day and subsequently allow us to serve all families in a more efficient manner.  It is also important to note that whether you registered in January at a BUSD middle school, or whether you are registering in February, you will enter the first BHS lottery held in March.  Again, where the lottery is concerned, no preference or priority is given for when you register.

On your registering day, (the Admissions Office is open from 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm) bring the original and a copy of the following documents to 1835 Allston Way:

1)  A Birth Certificate

2)  Proof of Berkeley residence -- originals of any THREE from the following list of CURRENT documentation, including at least one from category "d", that is imprinted with the name and Berkeley address of the parent/guardian will be required to establish proof of residency:
a) California Driver's License or ID
b) Current bank statement
c) Action letter from Social Services, a letter from the State Office for Medi-Cal, a letter from the employer on company letterhead or a paycheck stub
d) PG&E bill, phone bill (non-cellular), EBMUD bill, garbage bill or cable bill

3) Proof of immunization for polio, DPT (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis), measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B and chickenpox is required by STATE LAW.

4) Copy of latest report card, transcript or some kind of grade proof.

Students residing with someone other than their parents must also complete a Caregiver Form.

Homeless families should contact Nancy Johnson in Room 5, or call her at 644-6529.

Again, we will accommodate exceptions to the schedule, but please be sensitive and come at your assigned time if at all possible. This should allow a more expeditious process for all families.

Course Selection (step 2)

Beginning on February 17th, incoming students from non-BUSD schools will attend course selection sessions. After completing steps 1 and 2 above, students will attend sessions in the BHS library based on the following schedule:

Tuesday, February 17, 6:30 p.m. Last names A-L

Thursday, February 19, 6:30 p.m. Last names M-Z

There will be one makeup session held on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 6:30 p.m.

Again, we will accommodate those families where circumstances prevent them from registering on their assigned days, but please try, as much as possible, to attend at the allotted time.

What should I expect during these course selection sessions?

On those evenings, families will report to the Berkeley High School library at 6:30 p.m. for a 20-minute presentation which includes a review of program and course offerings at BHS.

Following the presentation, parents will proceed to the food court for refreshments, get additional information, and fill out envelopes so that we can mail hard copies of course selections to your homes.

During this time, counselors will escort students to computer labs to complete the online scheduling process. As this is a big first step towards the independence that helps students be successful in high school, and given the spatial limitations in the computer labs, parents will not be in the classrooms/labs during the scheduling process. In light of this, it is extremely important that you and your child have extensive discussion about their selections prior to the course selection sessions. If you still need a course catalog, they are available from the BHS administrative offices.

*Note: It is essential that the student bring their student ID # to the Course Selection Sessions. Student ID #'s will be in the upper right hand corner of the pink assignment form you will receive during the admissions process.

We are aware that our deadlines are early.  If your student decides not to attend Berkeley High School, please let us know as soon as possible by calling Belinda McDaniel at (510) 644-4800.

We look forward to working with you during this transition, and will be happy to answer additional questions as we move toward welcoming you to Berkeley High School.

Cordially,

Amy Frey
Vice Principal