[BHS etree] ADMIN/VOLUNTEERS: Spirit Rally, background and call for help

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Oct 31 10:36:24 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Janet Huseby
[mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

Every fall Berkeley High holds an enthusiastic Spirit Week featuring
dress-up days and culminating in an upbeat exhilarating  Spirit Rally
at the end of the day Friday. This year the rally will be held on the
football field on Nov. 7. More details about the week's events are
included in the Newsletter which is being mailed home today and the
paragraph below.

Many of you are aware that this year there has been an increase in the
number of fights on campus.  The administration is very concerned and
is addressing the root of the problem by working with the very small
number of students involved as well as addressing the whole student
body. The number of fights has dropped but they have not yet stopped.
There was some discussion that the Spirit Rally would be canceled.
But at a faculty meeting last Wednesday, our teachers overwhelming
voted to back our students and hold the rally. The teachers will be
working very hard to support our kids by making sure the day is safe
for everyone.   In turn, we are asking the parents to support our
teachers by coming to school on Friday to add to the adult presence on
campus, to check rally wristbands, to direct students to the proper
location,etc.

Thank you to the many parents who have agreed to help during the
Spirit Rally this coming Friday.  I will get back to you with more
detailed instructions. We, however, need many more.  We are asking
most parents to come at 1:30 though we could use a few parents as
early as 11 a.m.  If you can possibly help, please let me know at
jhuseby at pacbell.net

The kids will appreciate it, the staff will appreciate it,  and, I
promise you, you will have fun!

Janet Huseby