[BHS etree] ADMIN/VOLUNTEERS: Week three begins

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sun Sep 7 13:14:07 PDT 2008

Contact: <mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net>jhuseby at pacbell.net

1. Volunteers needed
2. Volunteers thanked
3. Edline information

1. Tomorrow is the 7th day of school.  But it is not a day of rest.
So far roughly 150 students are on the books but have not yet shown
up for class.  We must continue to track the "no shows" for a full 10
days before they can be dropped.  We will be needing runners on
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:30 to 10:30 to help collect the
forms from various classrooms. If you can help, please come to the
front desk.

2. And now, before I go any further a thank you. The Berkeley
community has been awesome in its support of Berkeley High these last
three weeks. During the four days of registration 141 volunteers
signed in.  On make-up day, 12 volunteers came through. The first
three days of school saw 93 volunteers. Last week Tuesday through
Friday, there were 71 volunteers. I have estimated and averaged a
conservative grand total of 940 volunteer hours in the first three
weeks of school!   That is a lot of wonderful, impressive, dear
people who took time off from work, squeezed hours from their day,
and juggled commitments to help our students. Volunteers collected
forms, laminated ID cards, handed out schedules, issued textbooks,
delivered schedule changes, did census runs, tallied the census,
alphabetized emergency cards, helped in the library, escorted lost
students to classes, worked with the military waivers, and the list
goes on.  Thank you, Berkeley High community. Our high school and our
children are lucky to have you.

3. Many people have been inquiring about EDLINE is the new online
program to help track students' grades and attendance and, hopefully
as it grows in popularity, students' assignments. Edline can be found
at
<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.org/edline/>http://bhs.berkeleyschools.org/edline/
BUT to access personal information an activation code must be
entered. Parents/families were sent activation codes over the summer
in their back-to-school packets. If you are new or lost your code,
you need to stop by the Registrar's Office (across from the front
desk) and Rhonda Jefferson will verify your address/identity. She
will then mail your name and contact information to the BUSD which
will then mail you a new code.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net