[BHS etree] BUSD: Superintendent's Letter to Berkeley High Families

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Aug 28 08:14:39 PDT 2008

Note: This letter, from William Huyett, Superintendent of Schools, has
been forwarded by District Public Information Officer, Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Superintendent's Letter to Berkeley High Families

Welcome back!

We're looking forward to a great year here at Berkeley Unified. In the
last six months as Superintendent, I have visited every school's
faculty meeting, met with staff in all departments, and gotten to know
a few of the many students, teachers, staff, parents and other
volunteers that make our schools special.

In my new Berkeley community I've found an extraordinary commitment to
bring resources together in support of educational success for all of
our students. While visiting classrooms, I have observed many teachers
and students actively engaged in creative learning based on rigorous
academic standards.

However, we must acknowledge the reality that the academic success
attained by many students in our District is not universally
experienced by all. Our progress as a school district in the coming
years will be measured by our success at having all students achieve
at the highest levels.  Improving equity in our educational system
will improve the education of every student in the district.

This is not an endeavor we take on alone-this requires a total
community effort. Thus the 2020 Vision - A Call to Action was
unanimously passed by both the Berkeley Board of Education and the
Berkeley City Council. The impetus for 2020 Vision came from the
community group United in Action, and its message is that equity in
education is possible and there are concrete steps we as a district
and as a community need take to make this a reality. You may read more
about the 2020 Vision on our website or in an upcoming A+ News that
will be delivered to every resident of Berkeley in the next week.

When we talk about success, it is important that we mean the success
of the whole child. Building character, coping skills, physical and
mental health, the ability to work with people of different
backgrounds, and encouraging creativity are all crucial. With new
buildings at two preschools this year, we have added opportunities for
our youngest learners, and our after-school programs will also bring
new opportunities for students this year. Both these programs are
important parts of developing the whole child.

As educators, we know that parents can make a big difference in their
child's education. Spend time every day discussing school with your
child.
Join with us by regularly talking with your child's teacher. If you
have further concerns, talk to your student's counselor and/or vice
principal.
We are here for you - we want know what's on your mind, whether it is
a concern or a moment of joy recognizing your student's progress.

Best wishes

William Huyett
Superintendent of Schools

(Hard copies of this letter will be distributed at Back to School

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us