[BHS etree] BHS STUDENT COURT: Looking for Participants - for Elective Credit

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Aug 27 11:44:24 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact David Luu
[mailto:David_Luu at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Are you interested in law? Do you want to help people in your
community?
Do you want to help make student discipline fairer, meaningful, and
more productive? We're looking for you!

The Berkeley High Student Court is a restorative justice program that
operates out of Berkeley High School's OCI, and it provides a
restorative alternative to discipline. We are recruiting students to
be advocates for the program. You will be learning about how to
interview offenders, construct statements, and analyze the context and
impact of the offenders'
actions. Advocates will be trained by graduate students through a
partnership between Berkeley High School with UC Berkeley's Boalt
School of Law.

There is elective credit available for participation, and the class
meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school. Trials take place four
times a month (two every other week) from 5pm to 8pm, and
participation is mandatory for advocates. Hurry, because class starts
next Tuesday.

Interested students can speak to David Luu in H104 or email
david_luu at berkeley.k12.ca.us

David Luu
Program Coordinator
Berkeley High Student Court