[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Third call for registration help/other volunteeropportunities

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Aug 14 12:10:46 PDT 2008

Contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

1. third call for registration help.
2. other short and long time volunteer opportunities.

-------

1.  One by one you dear people are signing up to help with
registration.  But a few slots have a long ways to go. We need between
13 (minimum) and 21 people each slot to collect forms, sell
organizers, assign lockers, issue textbooks, etc.  The more help we
have, the faster the lines.  Right now the sophomores and juniors in
the afternoon, for instance, are in for a very slow time.  There are
not many volunteer jobs at Berkeley High that give you an opportunity
to meet all the children in your child's class-or the class above or
below.   This is one of them.  Below is where we stand at the moment
re volunteers.  I hope you can join us. Parking passes will be
available for near-campus parking.  There will be coffee and baked
goods.  If you can help, please let me know what day and shift you can
take as soon as possible at jhuseby at pacbell.net

a. Tuesday, August 19 / Freshmen
a.m. 17 volunteers
p.m. 19 volunteers

b. Wednesday, August 20 / Sophomores
a.m. 13 volunteers
p.m. 7 volunteers

c. Thursday, August 21 / Juniors
a.m. 12 volunteers
p.m. 7 volunteers

d. Friday, August 22 / Seniors
a.m. 11 volunteers
p.m. 14 volunteers

2. Other volunteer opportunities coming up:

Week after next is the important First Week of School.  Volunteer
opportunities (or to be more direct, Need for Volunteers) abounds. If
you can possibly find time to come in for 1 to 2 hours at any point to
help in any of the tasks, you will make a significant impact launching
our dear children into a new school year.  Below, I have divided up
the jobs and attempted to describe them. Please let me know where you
can help.

Monday OR Tuesday-not yet decided.

1. Make Up Registration.  We need volunteers willing to laminate,
collect forms, and hand out schedules. More on the etree when we know.

2. Supply Room.  Ms Tamara who is running the supply room needs help
boxing teacher requests so supplies can be delivered promptly. All day

3. Library.  The library needs help cataloging new books. All day.

Wednesday through Friday
(All volunteers should first report to the front desk to sign in and
get a volunteer badge.)

4. First Day Makeup. On the first day of school, Wednesday August 27,
we need four volunteers at 7:30 a.m. to hand out schedules to students
who have not yet picked up their schedules and the many kids who have
already lost their schedules.  This will take place in the Food Court.

5. Census Takers. For the first nine days we will need four or five
volunteers each day to collect attendance records from classes during
2nd and 3rd period (9:30 to 10:30 roughly). Explanation: At the
beginning of the year, some classes are over enrolled and others are
under enrolled due to "no shows." But classes cannot be shifted or
increased until it is confirmed that the "no shows" really have not
shown.  To do so, attendance must be carefully collected and recorded.
This job is VERY important and gives you a chance to visit many
classrooms.

6. Runners. We will need "runners" throughout the day the first few
weeks to deliver schedule changes to students who have put in a
schedule change form.

Explanation: The last day students may put in a schedule change
request is Friday, August 31. Students must attend all classes on the
schedule which they collect during registration (no matter how off or
wrong).  Counselors will get back in touch with them as fast as
possible by sending runners with the new schedule to the classes found
on the old schedule.

PARKING NOTE:  Unfortunately, once school starts only permit holders
may use the school's lots during the school day.  Please do not park
in them.  I have found unmetered 2 hour parking along MLK near the
football field and Washington School.

6. THE Front desk.  This is one of the sweetest jobs at Berkeley High.
Volunteers commit to a 1.5 hour time slot on a weekly basis.  The
slots are shared so you have companionship and backup should you not
be able to make it.  The Front Desk volunteers greet and direct
visitors and do small office jobs.  This is the best way to figure out
what's what at Berkeley High.  I promise! If you are interested,
please let me know and I will send you a schedule with the current
openings.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net