[BHS etree] ACADEMIC CHOICE: AP Lang & AP Lit info

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Aug 6 20:48:22 PDT 2008

Please do not hit reply contact is Matt Carton mcarton at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Dear AC Parents and Students -

I hope the summer has been going well for you. I am sending this e-mail out
to remind you and your student about the summer-reading requirements for
both AP Language and Composition (for incoming juniors) and and for AP
Literature and Composition (for incoming seniors).

AP English Language

As per Ms. Tebbe, she reminds students to read the instructions are on the
first page of the summer reader. Each response should be a page in length.
She wants you to note that the student will skip the last three essays,
which didn't print well. That means the last bullet of the instructions will
be skipped too. "That becomes obvious once you start," she adds.

The teachers for AP English Language this upcoming year will be Ms. Tebbe,
Mrs. Tammer, and Mr. Bye.

I will write a note soon bragging about the scores from last year - between
Tebbe, Tammer, Bye, and Ms. Rosen, AP Language students received the
best-ever scores since BHS has offered this class.

AP Lit

Before the school year ended, students were directed to get a 20% off coupon
from Cody's Books to get three titles - Death in Venice, The Sound and the
Fury, and Mrs. Dalloway. Then something happened...Cody's went out of
business. And as it is, only half of the students enrolled in the AP Lit
class actually got summer reading instructions.

So we will change the summer reading assignment. Students will be required
to read Mann's novella Death in Venice as well as Faulkner's The Sound and
the Fury (Mrs. Dalloway will not be required). For precise instructions, the
incoming AP Lit student is required to write me an e-mail at
cartonteach at yahoo.com. Parents may send me inquiries at
mcarton at berkeley.k12.ca.us.

For the two sections of AP Lit this upcoming year, I will be teaching both.

School starts in less than three weeks...where do these summers go?

Hope you're all well,

Matt Carton

Co-Lead Teacher, Academic Choice

mcarton at berkeley.k12.ca.us