[BHS etree] REMINDER: PTSA Parent Ed: Sex Talk-OnGoing Communication, Tues 4/29, 7:00pm, Rm D218

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Apr 22 09:12:12 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Audrey Spector
(audrey12 at comcast.net) or Wendy Lukas
(wlukas at sbcglobal.net)

REMINDER!  We are pleased to report we have had an amazing and very
positive response from BHS parents!

The PTSA Invites ALL BHS parents and guardians to attend a parent
education evening entitled:

Turning "The Sex Talk" into On-going Opportunities for Open
Communication to be presented by health educators Ahna Suleiman MPH
and Heidi Winig MPH, MEd

Tuesday, April 29, 7:00 to 9:00pm
NEW LOCATION: ROOM D218, NEAR COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER at Berkeley High
School

Parents and guardians will have an opportunity to hear from adolescent
health experts about successful ways to communicate about sexuality.
Participants will learn practical strategies and tools for guiding
young people in making healthy choices for themselves, and will gain
insight into how parents and caring adults can make a difference in
the lives of our young people by creating opportunities for open
communication.

This session is designed for parents and guardians of high school
students.

Ahna Suleiman MPH and Heidi Winig MPH, MEd are health educators with
extensive experience in adolescent and women's health, both locally
and internationally.  Heidi and Ahna have co-founded EVOLVE, a new
Women's Health and Empowerment Collective in the Bay Area through
which they offer consulting services.

Special Note
At the end of the evening, we hope to learn if there is interest in
additional parent education
opportunties in the future --- such as...

***"Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll: Teenagers and The Law (everything you
need to know about laws and your
teenager)-- an evening with an attorney specializing in youth and the
law

***"Diffusing the Fuse in Your Teen -- an evening with a certified
anger management trainer

***Drugs, Alcohol and Teenagers -- an evening with an adolescent
health expert

ALL Berkeley High School parents and guardians are warmly welcomed to
our first parent education event on Tuesday, April 29, 7 to 9pm in
ROOM D218, near the College & Career Center at Berkeley High School.

If you know you plan to attend, please RSVP to audrey12 at comcast.net or
wlukas at sbcglobal.net.  If you are not sure if you can attend, don't
worry about RSVPing, it is more important just to come to the meeting.

If you have any feedback as to whether more of these kinds of events
would be useful to you in the future, by all means let us know -- send
us an email with your thoughts and ideas.

Note: This parent education event is funded by the Berkeley High
School Development Group and is sponsored by the PTSA.

Kind regards,

PTSA Volunteers
Audrey Spector (audrey12 at comcast.net)
and Wendy Lukas (wlukas at sbcglobal.net)