[BHS etree] MISC: Mobilization to Sacramento

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Apr 3 06:08:10 PDT 2008

Do not reply to etree, contact Annie Johnston
mailto:ajohnston at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Community Partnerships Academy at Berkeley High School met with interested
parents, teachers and students from other small schools and programs and
agreed that we would like to join the Campaign for Quality Education (CQE)
mobilization to Sacramento on May 15.

Below is the announcement for May 15th from Californians for Justice.

We invite all of Berkeley High to join us in moblizing for this trip to
Sacramento.  We particularly want to encourage teachers to integrate
lessons on education, the California budget, and the legislative process
leading up to the May 15th mobilization, so that a field trip on that day
will be integrated into ongoing curriculum.  CP Academy will be having
students research legislative issues, and prepare letters for legislators
regarding their concerns.  We will accompany them in groups as they
deliver the letters to legislative offices throughout the capitol that
day.

If you are interested in bringing your students on this field trip, please
contact me, Annie Johnston, mailto:ajohnston at berkeley.k12.ca.us
with the number of students you expect to
bring.  I believe we will need to raise at least $10 per seat to pay for
the buses, we will need to organize subs far in advance, and we will need
parent chaparones in large numbers.  We will try to coordinate a meeting
with Californians for Justice on campus so that we can get a better
picture of the planned activities in Sacramento and so that we can pool
resources for the mobilization.

Annie Johnston
Co-Coordinator
Community Partnerships Academy
Berkeley High School

STUDENT  ACTION AGAINST BUDGET CUTS IN SACRAMENTO!!

             This year mark's the 54th anniversary of the Supreme Court's
Brown vs. Board of Education decision ending "separate and unequal"
education.  Fifty-four years later, youth of color, immigrant youth and
poor
communities face unequal schools, high disappearance/drop-out rates, poor
school conditions and obstacles to higher education!

The Governor’s proposed $5 billion budget cuts to education (for 2008-2009)
will undoubtedly have a devastating and disproportionate impact on our
already under-funded schools—CA ranks 46th in the nation in per pupil
spending.

This is a critical opportunity to have student, parent and community voices
heard in a powerful way. Join the Campaign for Quality Education (CQE) for
statewide student action in Sacramento on May 15th to demand that the
Governor make good on his promise of the “Year of Education” and ensure
that
California schools are fully funded.

- - - - - - - - -

The Campaign for Quality Education (CQE) is a statewide effort supported by
organizations all over California dedicated to better schools and racial
justice in education.  The CQE is coordinated by Californians for Justice,
Youth Together, Public Advocates, and the Applied Research Center. Campaign
supporters include many grassroots community organizations as well as
policy
and legal groups.

Carmen Iñiguez, Statewide Campaign Director
Statewide Campaign Director
Californians for Justice