[BHS etree] BUSD: Update on Family Diversity Work

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Mar 26 06:52:57 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Many of you know of the work that a lot of parents, teachers and staff
have been doing to create the BUSD Family Diversity Taskforce.  Judy
Appel, a very committed parent and the Executive Director of Our
Family Coalition, has done a wonderful job of facilitating the
process, which has already helped the District create our
harassment/bullying policy passed by the Board. Judy asked me to pass
on this update on what the group is doing.

Thanks Judy for making this great group a reality in our community,
probably another Berkeley first that many surrounding Districts are
already watching to learn.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer

Hello BUSD Family Diversity parents, teachers, principals and others,

I wanted to catch you up on the latest news from the BUSD Family
Diversity group AND ASK FOR YOUR HELP.

You may remember that we conducted a small survey of all of you to get
a sense of where we should focus our work. Thanks to those who
responded -- I have pasted the results below. In summary, there is a
pretty good majority of folks who think we should focus on 1 staff
development & curriculum, 2) visibility to incoming parents and 3)
work in the middle schools.  This is great input, and both supports
work we have been doing and offers opportunity for some new energy.

I met with John Selawsky (school board president) and Bill Huyett (the
new Superintendent) yesterday, and I am very hopeful about the
possibility of our doing some district wide training and curriculum
work next year.

I would like to get together in person so I can share the outcome of
the meeting, and discuss how to split up to work in the three areas we
have discussed.

I need your help figuring out when and where to meet.  We held a
meeting in February, but attendance was low. Now I know you think it
is valuable that we meet since every last person who responded to the
survey requested that the Task Force continue to meet.

Can you please let me know which of the following days of the
week/month work for you and where  you would like to meet. If you just
can't make meetings but want to be involved, let me know. If you just
are overextended and can't work on this at all, please let me know
that, too.

When?
Tuesdays         1st, 2d, 3rd, 4th
Wednesdays       2nd & 4th
Thursdays        1st, 2d, 3rd, 4th

What do you think about meeting at the District Annex at 1835 Allston
Street?

We are poised for the next and very exciting stage of this work.

Take care,
Judy

BUSD Family Diversity Taskforce
2/27/08           6:30-8pm
January '08 Survey Results
Number of Respondents: 31
Number of Teachers: 2
Number of Parents: 18
Number of Administrators: 6
Other: 2 (1 volunteer, 1 prospective parent)

How many meetings attended:
20% more than 6,
28% 4-6,
52% less than 4.

Barriers to Attendance
-          Scheduling conflicts (school, family, work, etc.)
-          Child(ren) not attending Berkeley public school
-          Don't feel topic is as important as other issues (i.e.
racism)

100% believe group should continue to meet.

Priorities of group:
69% Curriculum Materials
65.5% Staff Development
55.2% Work in Middle Schools
55.2% Protections for Staff
55.2% Outreach to incoming BUSD parents
37.9% Ensuring BUSD compliance with state Safe
Schools/Anti-discrimination laws
31% Work at the High Schools
27.6% Peer support for parents
24.1% Review and revise BUSD forms
24.1% Other: Training for Classified Staff; Forums and Speakers;
District-wide Curriculum

Other Suggestions/Comments:
- District-wide "Pride" day
- Increase support and visibility of LGBT Staff

Schools Identified in Survey Results:
Rosa Parks
Jefferson
Martin Luther King Jr.
Thousand Oaks
Emerson
Malcolm X
Cragmont
Black Pine Circle
LeConte
Berkeley High School
Oxford

--
Judy Appel
Executive Director

If you are not a member, join Our Family Coalition today.