[BHS etree] ADMIN: Next Steps for families coming to BHS from non-BUSD Middle Schools

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Mar 12 22:27:11 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Pasquale Scuderi
[mailto:pscuderi at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

The dates for registration for families from non-BUSD schools are fast
approaching. We would like to suggest the following guidelines to make
the admissions and registration process smoother for all people
involved.

Entering Berkeley High School from a middle school outside the BUSD is
a three-step process that includes:

1.	Admissions
2.	Registration
3.	Course Selection

The following is an outline of how and when to begin the process:

Admissions (step 1)

Beginning on March 18, 2008, students coming to Berkeley High School
from non-BUSD schools can begin registering at the admissions office
at 1835 Allston Way in Berkeley (510) 644-6504.

In order to minimize wait times, we are advising that incoming
families adhere to the following schedule for the admissions process:

If the student's last name begins with.	Please come to admissions on.

A-F							March 18
G-L							March 19
M-S							March 20
T-Z							March 21

If you are absolutely unable to make your assigned time we will
accommodate you; however, please keep in mind that adherence to the
schedule above will help us manage the volume of students processing
each day and subsequently allow us to serve all families in a more
efficient manner. It is also important to note that whether you
registered in January at a BUSD middle school, or whether you are
registering in March, you will enter the BHS lottery at the same time
as everyone else. Again, where the lottery is concerned, no preference
nor priority is given for when you register.

To begin the admissions processes bring the following documents to
1835 Allston Way:

1)	A Birth Certificate

2)	Proof of Berkeley residence - originals of any THREE from the
following
list of CURRENT documentation, including at least one from category
"d", that is imprinted with the name and Berkeley address of the
parent/guardian will be required to establish proof of residency:

a)	California Driver's License or ID
b)	Current bank statement
c)	Action letter from Social Services, a letter from the State
Office for
Medi-Cal, a letter from the employer on company letterhead or a
paycheck stub
d)	PG&E bill, phone bill (non-cellular), EBMUD bill, garbage bill
or cable
bill

The Admissions Office is open from 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm.

Students residing with someone other than their parents must also
complete a Caregiver Form.

Homeless families should contact Nancy Johnson in Room 5, or call her
at 644-6529.

Registration (step 2)

Once you have completed step 1 with the admissions office, you will be
given a packet. Following the schedule below, bring that packet, along
with the following documentation, to Berkeley High School.

1.	Proof of immunization for polio, DPT (diphtheria, tetanus and
pertussis), measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B and chickenpox is
required by STATE LAW.

2.	Copy of latest report card, transcript or some kind of grade
proof (if
entering 2nd - 12th)

At the high school you will speak with Ms. Belinda McDaniel who will
enter your student into the BHS student database (510) 644-4120.

Families should follow the following schedule for BHS registration:

A-F	Thursday, March 20
G-L	Friday, March 21
M-S	Monday, March 24
T-Z      Tuesday, March 25

The time lapse between the admissions and registration schedules will
allow us to better prepare and provide you with more efficient service
at each step of the process.

Again, we will accommodate exceptions to the schedule, but please be
sensitive and come at your assigned time if at all possible. This
should allow a more expeditious process for all families.

Course Selection (step 3)

Beginning on March 25, incoming students from non-BUSD schools will
attend course selection sessions. After completing steps 1 and 2
above, families will attend sessions in the BHS library based on the
following schedule:

Tuesday, March 25, 6:30 p.m. Last names A-L

Thursday, March 27, 6:30 p.m. Last names M-Z

There will be one makeup session held on Wednesday, April 9, 2007 6:30
p.m.

Again, we will accommodate those families where circumstances prevent
them from attending at their scheduled time, but please try, as much
as possible, to attend at the allotted time.

What should I expect expect during these course selection sessions?

On those evenings, families will report to the Berkeley High School
library at 6:30 p.m. for a 20-minute presentation which includes a
review of program and course offerings at BHS.

Following the presentation, parents will proceed to the food court for
refreshments, get additional information, and fill out envelopes so
that we can mail hard copies of course selections to your homes.

During this time, counselors will escort students to computer labs to
complete the online scheduling process. As this is a big first step
towards the independence that helps students be successful in high
school, and given the spatial limitations in the computer labs,
parents will not be in the classrooms/labs during the selection
process. In light of this, it is extremely important that you and your
child have extensive discussion about their program and course
selections prior to these sessions. If you still need a course catalog
they are available from the BHS administrative offices.

*Note: It is essential that the student bring their student ID # to
the Course Selection Sessions. Student ID #'s will be in the upper
right hand corner of the pink assignment form you will receive during
the admissions process.

We look forward to working with you during this transition, and will
be happy to answer additional questions as we move toward welcoming
you to Berkeley High School.

Cordially,

Pasquale Scuderi
Vice Principal