[BHS etree] BUSD: Letter from Superintendent Bill Huyett

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Feb 12 08:06:06 PST 2008

February 11, 2008

Dear Berkeley Public School Community Members,

It is my great pleasure to introduce myself as the new Superintendent of
the Berkeley Unified School District. I have always heard wonderful things
about the quality of the teachers and staff in the Berkeley schools, as
well as of the tremendous support given to the schools from Berkeley’s
parents and community. These are some of the reasons that I wanted to come
to Berkeley, and I look forward to sharing more of my reasons as we get to
know each other in the months to come.

I will be coming around to schools and PTAs, visiting with parents,
teachers and staff, listening to their visions and dreams for public
education. In my first week I have already enjoyed an elementary school
assembly honoring Black History Month, attended another elementary
school’s PTA meeting, and I received a beautiful gift basket from the PTA
Council, full of treasures from many of the schools. I will thank each PTA
individually, but I wanted to share how welcome your thoughtfulness made
me feel.

Collectively we are called upon to raise student achievement for all
students. I am going to be asking how we can effectively hold the high
standards that we have, and close the achievement gap that exists between
groups of our students. This is one of my highest priorities, and I know
that it is a top priority of this community as well.

I have reviewed the comments and suggestions collected in community
meetings by the consultants who conducted the superintendent search. Those
comments send a clear message of what you were looking for in your new
superintendent, as well as what you hope to see in the District as we move
ahead. I look forward to getting out into the community, working with you
to find the answers to your questions, while we continue to improve the
quality of education we are providing for all of our students.

Sincerely,
William (Bill) Huyett
Superintendent