[BHS etree] STUDENT ACTIVITIES: mock election tomorrow 1/29

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Jan 28 08:45:40 PST 2008

Contact: Chris Young
<mailto:chris_young at berkeley.k12.ca.us>chris_young at berkeley.k12.ca.us
and Janet Huseby<mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net>jhuseby at pacbell.net

Mock Election Tuesday, January 29-encourage your student to vote!

BHS Leadership, working with our parent volunteers and the League of
Women Voters, is holding a mock election for BHS students tomorrow
Tuesday, January 29.  The polling station will be the Community
Theater Foyer.  The polls will be open from 9:00-3:45-including BHS
lunch time!  We are hoping social studies teachers will bring their
students to vote and others will drop by when free to vote.  Students
will register, vote, and receive an "I Voted" sticker.

Students will vote for the presidential candidate of their choice
from any of the parties and will vote yes or no on 3 ballot measures.

All teachers and parents - please encourage your students to vote.
We need to have more young people voting.  Currently in California,
of likely voters 62% are over 45, 77% are homeowners, 73% are college
graduates, 72% are white, 14% are Latino, 6% are Asian, 5% are
African-American.  While only one in three of California's adults was
born in the US, 90% of likely voters are natives.  Do these
statistics sound representative of the state population?

If you have volunteered to help at the election, please come to the
front desk in the admin building to sign in and receive a volunteer
badge then report to the foyer of the Community Theater.  If you have
any questions, please contact Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net