[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 12/14/07

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Dec 13 22:57:13 PST 2007

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
December 14, 2007

*Indicates new or updated item

Administration

1. Attention Parents and Students, we have a new Message Board in the
Administration office.  This message board will have notes and
information for any student at BHS.  Parents who want to leave
messages for their child can contact the office and we will leave a
note on the board for students to come by and check.  Students please
walk by the board and see if you have a message.  This is designed for
those parents who want to remind their students about appointments,
what to do after school, etc.  We will NO LONGER interrupt classrooms
for these types of messages.  Students it is your responsibility to
check the board for messages.

2. Canned food drive has begun.  Please bring your canned food items
to your second period classroom.  The class with the most canned foods
will receive a pizza party in December.  The food is for the Holiday
meal scheduled for December 15th.

3. Recycle your cell phones, pagers, ink cartridges and batteries.
Bring them to G207.

3. BART ticket sales for December will take place on December 18th and
19th in room D224 at lunch time only.  Ticket price is $16.00 for
$32.00 value ticket.  Please bring exact amount. Cash only!  Please no
checks!!

Clubs

1. Youth for Christ will be meeting this Friday in room C311, not
G302.  We will have a talk on presuppositions, and a short Questions
and answers time.  That's this Friday at lunch in C311.  Snacks
provided.

2. Come check out the new STEP club, STEP IT UP!  It's hosted by
college students and meets every Friday at 3:30 pm in H201.

*3. This is a message to all French club members!  Don't forget to
come to our last meeting of the year this Friday at lunch. Also, if
you're doing our Secret Santa, bring your presents with you on this
day!  If you don't show up, Mrs. Carta will eat your children.  For
those of you who aren't members yet, it's never too late to join.
Attend our meetings on Fridays at lunch in room C102 (Mrs. Carta's
room).

Sports

1. The Berkeley Rhino Club is seeking new high school age players for
the Winter/Spring 2008 season.  Practices are 5-7 pm Tuesday and
Thursday at San Pablo Park, Berkeley starting December 13.  No
experience required.  All sizes welcome; boys age 14 to 18.  This
youth rugby club coached by Keir Paasch, former Cal rugby player, is
made up of high school boys from various schools including Berkeley,
Albany, El Cerrito and CPS. For more info call 510-466-5113 or Coach
Keir at 510-847-1453.

Senior / Junior Section

1. Senior yearbook info- Get your senior page contract in room H102.
Pages are going fast and are limited.  You can not have a page without
this contract.  Pages cost $60 - $180.  Deadline- December 20th.

2. Seniors!  Have you ordered your cap and gown?  Or your class ring?
Please fill out the graduation packet you should have gotten in your
English class and bring it to the "Achievers" booth in the courtyard
this Friday at lunch.  If you need a packet, please come by D148 to
pick one up.

3. PSAT- we have not yet received the PSAT scores for students who
took the test this fall.  We expect to receive them before winter
break.  There will be an announcement in the Daily Bulletin as soon as
the scores are available.

4. SAT/ACT TEST DATES- December  26 is the regular registration
deadline for the January 26 SAT and SAT subject tests.  Friday,
January 4 is the regular registration deadline for the February 9 ACT
test.  Fee waivers for low income students are available in D221.

5. If you are still interested in applying to California public four
Year colleges, the following schools are still accepting applications:
UC Campuses:  Riverside and Merced.  Cal States:
Bakersfield, Channel Islands, Chico, Dominguez Hills, East Bay,
Fresno, Humboldt, Los Angeles, Monterey Bay, Northridge, San
Bernadino, San Francisco, San Jose, Sonoma, and Stanislaus.  Not all
majors are open at these campuses. If you need help with your
application, please see Ms. Abrams or Price.

Events/ Performances

1. Funky Bus and The U-Turns had an amazing first BHS concert!  If you
were there you know what I mean, and if you weren't there you still
have an opportunity to experience this music on a professionally mixed
and mastered CD of one of their live performances.  These CDs make
wonderful gifts and they are truly a piece of Berkeley High history
featuring our amazing senior Courtney Knott on lead vocals with horns
and rhythm sections lead by Nathan Kersey-Wilson (see the full list of
members below-they are on sale for $10- which goes to support the BHS
Jazz Program, and future Funky Bus events.  Purchase CDs from Funky
Bus members or come by H101 before school, end of lunch or after
school.

2. The Holiday Meal is a time for cheer and we want your help now! We
really need donations: pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars,
fives, tens, twenties, etc to help make this Holiday Meal effective
and enjoyable.  If you would like to make a donation please come to
D148.  There will be a can that you can put the money in, so you can
make a difference.  Help people and someone will help you.

*3. Attention students and teachers!  This holiday season help kids
less fortunate than you by adopting an "angel" . For more information
contact Miss Lovett in H305.

4. BHS Drama and Shift Theatre present the comedy NOISES OFF by
Michael Frayn.  A 3-act play-within-a-play that USA Today calls, "A
frisky, freewheeling sex comedy about actors in a frisky, freewheeling
sex comedy!"  The ensemble cast includes Eric Chiang, Sonia Decker,
Kelly Friedman, Anne Kobori, Nico Kiefer, Mark Sorensen, Elena
Wagoner, Peter Walton, and Eli Wirtschafter.  Directed by Molly Bell.
PERFORMANCE DATES:  Friday and Saturday, December 14 and 15, at 8 PM
in the Florence Schwimley Little Theater.  Tickets:
Students/Seniors/Teachers $6 and General $12.

5. Hey everybody! Winterball ticket sales start today - December 13,
2007.  Tickets will be $45 today and tomorrow only.  Starting next
week tickets will be $50 and will increase by $5 per week.  Sales will
be in the box office during lunch and after school every Tuesday,
Wednesday, and Thursday.  Hurry and get your tickets before the price
goes up.

5. The 7th Annual Historically Black Colleges and Universities tour
will be held April 1- April 8, 2008 (Tour A).  If any student is
interested in the tour, please see Mrs. Parker in room D224.

JOBS

*1. Attorney located in downtown Oakland needs a part time student for
employment in a law office doing primarily Social Security disability.
Must be bilingual in Spanish. Person interested in health care and
medicine and/or law preferred.  Prefer a senior planning on going to
college in the Bay Area. Will train person to be legal assistant.  Job
requires knowledge of computers and typing.  Attorney willing top work
employee's schedule around school hours, increase hours in summer and
vacations, and decrease when necessary for the student's class
schedule. Pay $13.00 an hour to start.  Good raises for a dependable
person.