[BHS etree] ADMIN: Tours/Fall Information Night for ProspectiveFamilies

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sun Oct 7 21:48:01 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact: Janet Husesby
jhuseby at pacbell.net

1. Berkeley High School's Fall Information Night for Prospective
Students is scheduled for Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 7 pm in the
Berkeley Community Theater. This evening is an introduction to our
school and is primarily intended for students who are  not currently
enrolled in the BUSD, although families currently enrolled in the
district are welcome to attend.

2. The "touring season" for prospective students runs from October to
March.  The small group tours leave the Front Desk at 9:30 a.m. most
mornings and are by reservation only. They last about an hour.  The
tours walk by classrooms--many of which have open  doors--but they do
not go into rooms for observation.  The tours are not "orientation
tours." (There are wonderful student-led tours for our incoming
students in August.) The fall and early spring tours are directed
towards parents who are deciding  if Berkeley  High is the appropriate
school for their child. Prospective students are welcome but ONLY if
accompanied by their parent or guardian.

To make a reservation, please contact Janet Huseby, BHS Volunteer
Coordinator at jhuseby at pacbell.net. Let her know how many people in
your party and what days you are available.

3. Many people have asked if they could visit Berkeley High on their
own or if their student could "shadow" a current student. This is not
possible. The school is focused on the education and security of our
currently enrolled students. We are simply too large a school to
accommodate unsupervised visitors.

4. In the spring of 2008 each incoming ninth grader (class of 2012)
and their parent or guardian will be invited to attend two separate
events.  EVERYONE (current BUSD families and incoming families) will
be invited to a meeting in the Community Theater to go over program
options. The date for this meeting has not been set. Following this
general meeting, BHS counselors will meet BUSD students during the day
at King, Willard and Longfellow and at night with their parents.
Students and their parents coming from private school will meet with a
counselor on the Berkeley campus. In all, we are discussing eight
meetings. As soon as these dates are set, we will announce them on the
etree.