[BHS etree] COLLEGE|CAREER: Advisor's Bulletin for 9/20/07

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Sep 20 06:59:26 PDT 2007

CONTACT:  Ilene Abrams  iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us  or 644-6804

College Advisor's Bulletin
Thursday, September 20, 2007

SAT WORD OF THE DAY:  APPREHENSION – fear; misgivings.  When a police
car pulls up behind me when I am driving, I experience a feeling of
apprehension, even if I am not doing anything wrong.

I will be out of town from Tuesday, September 25-Friday, September 28
at a professional conference.  If you need assistance while I am gone,
please contact Ms. Price at angela_price at berkeley.k12.ca.us .

UPCOMING PARENT NIGHTS
1.  SENIOR PARENT COLLEGE NIGHT – Tuesday, October 2, 6:30 pm in the
Berkeley High library.  Hear a panel of UC, Cal State, community
college and private school representatives and get all of your
questions answered about these types of schools.
2.  FINANCIAL AID PART ONE – Wednesday, October 10, 6:30 pm in the
Berkeley High library.  Sue Kim, a financial aid expert, will explain
how financial aid is calculated for both public and private schools and
answer your questions.  She will also provide information on merit aid.

FOR SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS AND SENIORS
TODAY - Membership applications for the California Scholarship
Federation are now available in the College/Career Center.  Join CSF to
show your enthusiasm for citizenship and academics. Come to an
information meeting Thursday, September 20 at lunch in the
College/Career Center or email CSF at csfbhs at gmail.com

FOR SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS – PSAT INFORMATION
The PSAT is given only once a year at Berkeley High.  The dates are set
by College Board.  This year it will be given on Saturday, October 20
in the morning.  It is about three hours long.  It is an excellent
practice test for the SAT for juniors and sophomores.  For juniors
only, it is also the qualifying exam for the National Merit
Scholarship.  If your junior cannot take the test on Saturday, some
local schools also give it on Wednesday, October 17.  The student can
talk with me at lunch or after school about the problem and I may be
able to help.  Sophomores need not worry about missing the test.  I DO
NOT YET HAVE REGISTRATION INFORMATION.  When it comes out, it will be
available in the College Advisor’s Bulletin and the Student Daily
Bulletin.

FOR JUNIORS AND SENIORS
Keeping King’s Legacy Alive Scholarship - develop and submit a script
for a 30 second public service announcement contributing to the public
understanding of Dr. King's life and the movements inspired by his
message of peace through social justice. Five finalists will be invited
to meet with local film producers and representatives from the MLK
Institute to share the inspiration behind their PSA. Of the finalists,
one team will be chosen and those individuals/group will get to shoot
their PSA with professional film producers, which will be aired on the
Yahoo! website and on local TV stations on Martin Luther King Day 2008.
Members of the winning team will also receive a $2500 scholarship. For
more information, go to
http://www.stanford.edu/group/King/liberation_curriculum/psacontest
Deadline to submit proposals – September 21, 2007

FOR SENIORS
* At the end of August, all registered students were mailed a copy of
this year's College Application Handbook for Students and Their
Parents.  The handbook was sent by bulk mail.  If you are a senior who
registered at Berkeley High School after August 19th or if you did not
receive a copy in the mail, you can pick up a copy at the
College/Career Center.  Because of the cost, we can only provide one
copy per family, even if the student’s parents are no longer living
together.  This book is an excellent resource, with current information
on applying for admissions and financial aid, testing, athletics,
scholarships, etc.

*If you missed the Senior Parent meeting on September 10, you may
borrow a DVD of the meeting.  You may keep it for up to two evenings.
Please e-mail Angela Price at angela_price at berkeley.k12.ca.us to get on
the list to borrow it.

REMINDER:  If you are applying to private colleges which need a
counselor recommendation, your Senior Profiles are due on Friday,
September 21st.  You do NOT need to fill these out if you are applying
only to the UC’s, Cal State Universities or community colleges.

COLLEGE VISITS
Seniors, sign up in D221 to attend college presentations.  All
presentations will be held in the College/Career Center.  You must also
pick up an authorization form for your teacher to sign so that you may
miss his or her class.  This is a great opportunity to find out more
about what individual colleges have to offer as well as to meet the
admission officer who may be reading your application.   Students may
not attend more than 10 college visits during the school year.   A
complete listing of the September and October college visits is
available at http://bhs.berkeley.net/index.php?page=finding-a-college .

TODAY- Thursday, September 20
8:30 George Washington (DC)
9:30 Washington University in St. Louis (MO)
10:35 University of Denver (CO)
12:20 Boise State (ID)
2:20 Portland State (OR)

Friday, September 21
8:30 Brown (RI)
9:35 St. John’s (MD and NM)
10:35 Whitworth (WA)
12:20 University of Puget Sound (WA)
1:20 University of Oregon
2:20 Boston College (MA)

Monday, September 24
8:30 Boston University (MA)
9:35 American University (DC)

Wednesday, September 26
10:35 Princeton (NJ)

EARLY DECISION/EARLY ACTION WORKSHOPS
If you are planning to apply to private colleges under one of their
early plans, come to one of the workshops to get more information on
applying.  Sign up in D221 to attend.
Friday, September 21, 7:30 am, College/Career Center

ESSAY READERS AND WORKSHOPS
Essay readers will be available in the College/Career Center at lunch
time this week and next.  No sign-ups are necessary, just bring your
essay draft.

Essay writing workshops:
Morning workshops will be held in the College/Career Center.  Afternoon
workshops in either Conference Room A or B.  Students must sign up to
attend.
Thurs., 9/27, 3:30 pm
Fri., 10/5, 7:30 am
More to come – for a complete list of all workshops, go to
http://bhs.berkeley.net/index.php?page=workshops

SAT/ACT TEST DATES – Friday, September 21 is the regular registration
deadline for the October 27 ACT test. Tuesday, October 2 is the regular
registration deadline for the November 3 SAT and SAT subject tests.
Fee waivers for low income students are available in D221.

COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS IN THE BAY AREA
Sun., September 23, 7:30-9:00 pm – Washington U in St. Louis at Double
Tree Hotel, Berkeley Marina, 200 Marina Blvd., Berkeley, (510) 548-7920
Sun., September 23, 3:00 pm – Boston College at Hotel Monaco, 501 Geary
St., SF
Sun., September 23, 6:00 pm – Georgetown at Preservation Park, Nile
Hall, 668 – 13th Street, Oakland.  RSVP to Liz Chausse at
chaussee at georgetown.edu or go to
http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/inyourarea.cfm
*Sun., September 23, 7:00 pm – Princeton University at The Westin St.
Francis, 335 Powell St., SF
*Tues., September 25, 7:30 pm – University of Pennsylvania at Crowne
Plaza Hotel, Union Square, 480 Sutter St., SF
Fri., September 28, 7:00-8:30 pm – MIT at Holiday Inn in Golden
Gateway, Emerald Room, 1500 Van Ness Ave., SF.
Sun., September 30, 2:00 pm – Carnegie Mellon University at Marriott
Fisherman’s Wharf, 1250 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco.  To register,
go to http://my.cmu.edu/site/admission/page.counselors and use the
registration code “Scottie Dog.”
*Sun., September 30 – Lewis & Clark at St. Mary’s College High School,
1294 Albina Avenue, Berkeley.
*Mon., October 8 – University of Pennsylvania at Rockridge Branch
Library, 5366 College Ave., Oakland.

SCHOLARSHIPS
Sinkler Miller Medical Association Scholarship – Open to graduating
seniors who are SF Bay Area residents with a minimum cumulative GPA of
3.0 who have financial need.  12 scholarships of $1,000-$1,500 will be
awarded.  Deadline:  September 20.  Applications available in D221.

Good Tidings Community Service Scholarship – Open to seniors who live
in the SF Bay Area, have participated in community service and have
financial need.  Scholarships range from $2,5000 to $5,000.  Deadline:
November 9.  Applications available in D221.
*New to the bulletin today.