[BHS etree] PTSA: Election Results + Safety Committee Meeting Reminder

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Sep 13 08:48:41 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark van Krieken
[mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net]

The following topics are in this posting:
  1. BHS Safety Committee Meeting Reminder
  2. SGC & BSEP Election Results
  3. Wow!  What A Meeting!

1.
BHS Safety Committee Meeting Reminder:

For those parents and guardians interested in participating in the
newly forming BHS Safety Committee, please come to today's (Thursday)
meeting at 4 PM in room H104 or contact BHS Dean of Students,
Alejandro Ramos at aramos at berkeley.k12.ca.us to let him know that you
would like to take part.  Any parents who were interested in working
in a safety group within the PTSA should turn their time and energy to
this committee.  We look forward to seeing you there!

2.
SGC & BSEP Election Results

With apologies for the slight delay (residency categories had to be
checked for the four SGC reps to make sure that at least one rep was
from a different category than the other three - SGC bylaws), the
results of the elections for parent representatives for the School
Governance Council (SGC) and Berkeley Schools Excellence Project
(BSEP) Committee are as follows:

SGC Parent Representatives:
Susan Helmrich
Beatriz Leyva-Cutler
Jon Marley
Sandy Stier

SGC Alternates:
Priscilla Myrick (1st alternate)
Mary McDonald (2nd alternate)

BSEP Parent Representatives:
Nimota Abina
Seth Chazin
Sharleen Harty
Allen King
Dan Lindheim

BSEP Alternates:
Leah Wilson (1st alternate)
Toni Garrett-Farb (2nd alternate)

Thank you again to all the candidates!  It's great that so many of you
are willing to make such a big commitment of time and energy on behalf
of all of our children.

3.
Wow!  What A Meeting!

We had over 240 people attend Tuesday's PTSA meeting.  This is just
about double the September meeting of two years ago.  I just wanted to
thank everybody for coming and making it such a successful event.  The
energy and enthusiasm in the room were fantastic and not only did we
select a very strong set of parent representatives for the SGC and
BSEP committees, but we had a lot of volunteers for a wide variety of
PTSA and school needs.  We particularly want to thank the small
schools and programs for doing such a great job of recruiting
candidates and encouraging people to attend the meeting.  The whole
school should reap the benefits of everyone's strong efforts.

Thanks again,
Your Newly Elected PTSA Board

President -- Mark van Krieken
Secretary - Betsy Bigelow-Teller
Treasurer - Saida Hogan-Nassirrudden
Historian - Karen Nielson
Communication Subcommittee Rep - Matt Wong
Student Rep - Leslie West
Parent Center Rep - Irma Parker
School Principal (or principal's liaison) - Jim Slemp (Rory Bled)

Sincerely,

Mark van Krieken
BHS PTSA President