[BHS etree] SUPT: Berkeley School District Names New Chief Financial Officer

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Aug 23 14:17:40 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark Coplan, BUSD Public
Information Officer: 510-472-3811

Berkeley School District Names New Chief Financial Officer-Deputy
Superintendent, Javetta Robinson

The Berkeley Board of Education has announced the appointment of
Javetta Robinson as the school district's new Deputy
Superintendent-Chief Financial Officer, to replace outgoing Deputy,
Eric D. Smith, who is leaving the District after shepherding BUSD into
greater financial stability and a balanced budget. Deputy Smith leaves
the District to return to his family in the Central Coast, from where
he has been commuting the past two years.

Deputy Superintendent Javetta Robinson has worked in public education
for over ten years, beginning her career as an Internal Auditor for
Sacramento Unified.  She spent the two years in Compton Unified in
Southern California as CBO, and most recently in Oakland Unified
School District as the Chief Financial Officer, managing a budget of
over $500 million.

She is a seasoned administrator with years of experience in financial,
general and operations management administration, and has expertise in
strategic planning, budget development, accounting, financial modeling
and systems implementation. She was raised in the Bay Area and
understands the financial demands of an urban school system.

Superintendent Michele Lawrence stated, "Since Ms. Robinson's path has
crossed mine more than once in our careers, I was able to call on a
few administrators whose judgment I know and trust and they gave her
the highest recommendations. Combined with what I've seen of her work
in Oakland, I am confident in her abilities, and the contribution she
can provide to Berkeley.

Incoming Deputy Superintendent Robinson says, "I have heard so many
positive things about Michele, the District and the Berkeley
community, and I look forward to continuing the direction of long-term
fiscal solvency already begun by Eric D. Smith."

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us