[BHS etree] SUPT: Emerson & Jefferson Elementary Schools Celebrate Centennials

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue May 8 09:00:11 PDT 2007

Two Berkeley Public Schools Celebrate Centennials

Here comes the Emerson School 100th Anniversary Bash!
On Friday May 11th we'll be celebrating Emerson's 100th anniversary with
a wonderful evening of merriment and memories. The festivities will begin
at 4:00 with tours of the Emerson school site followed by a reception and
commemorative program at St. John's Presbyterian Church from 6:00 to 9:00
pm. The cost will be $10.00 per person; all alumni and family over 18
welcome.

There will be opportunities to hear stories about Emerson through the
decades, share personal memories, reconnect with old friends, and
participate in what is sure to be a very special, once in a hundred years,
community event. If you have pictures or memories please send them to [
mailto:DavidWalton at emerson100.org ]DavidWalton at emerson100.org  For
questions or to RSVP please contact Karen Meryash at 510-843-0753.

We're looking forward to an extraordinary evening to celebrate an
extraordinary school.

Jefferson School celebrates its 100th birthday!

We welcome the entire Berkeley community, and especially Jefferson
alums, to join us on Saturday, May 12, between 11am and 3pm, to celebrate
100 years of a great school during our Mayfair.

Having the celebration coincide with the Mayfair is no coincidence!
For many years, the Mayfair has been one of our most important events,
featuring performances, a carnival, a benefit drawing, a silent auction,
delicious food, and a beautiful plant sale. Lots of fun for the entire
family!

This year, we are planning a number of Centennial-related activities
at the Mayfair:
- Assembly honoring Jefferson community, past and present (1pm)
- Beginning at 1:30, a showing of “Junior Traffic Patrol” by Les Thompsen
(Jefferson was one of the first schools with traffic patrols; the movie
chronicles this history) followed by a slideshow of photos and memories
- There will also be displays of intriguing photos and memorabilia, a
preview of the new Centennial tile mosaic and Centennial garden, tours of
the old Jefferson School (now Crowden), and a benefit drawing supporting
school activities.
If you have photos and memorabilia, please send them to Chris Hoffman
at forrest.hoffman at sbcglobal.net or contact Joanne Sullivan
at  510-548-6388.

Please join us for this once in a century event!

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us