[BHS etree] URGENT -- BHS PTSA Is Restructuring: Your Input Is Needed

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Mar 19 09:38:51 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark van Krieken
[mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net]

Berkeley High has gone through dramatic changes over the past several
years.  We've gone from one very large school to six small schools and
programs and the PTSA has found itself struggling to adapt.  As each
small school or program was established, more and more parents who
would traditionally become involved in the PTSA would now start
working for the needs of their chosen school or program. As recently
as last year, with half of Berkeley High still belonging to the large
comprehensive school, there was still enough of a pool of mutually
concerned parents to form a good core of people with a good focus on
what needed to be achieved - mainly, figuring out what was going to be
done with the large school - but also a host of other efforts that
effected the entire school.

This current school year, however, things have changed.  With everyone
now associated with a small school or program and focused on their
particular needs, Berkeley High's traditional PTSA involvement has
effectively turned into a set of six small PTSAs.  This is totally
understandable, but has presented the overall PTSA with a problem of
both involvement and focus.  Although much of the overall scope should
be moved into the spheres of the small schools and programs, there are
still many roles an overall PTSA can and needs to play.

AND WE NEED YOUR INPUT!  We will be hosting a general PTSA meeting to
address these issues somewhere in the second half of April (date to be
announced soon).  We know how busy most of you are, but we hope you
can make it to this one meeting to help create a new and important
foundation for what has traditionally been a strong source of support
for Berkeley High's families and staff.  We need to hear your thoughts
and ideas.  We promise it will be productive.

We hope you'll join us!

Sincerely,

Mark van Krieken (newly nominated)
Linnette Robinson