[BHS etree] SUPT: Cody's Sponsors Fundraiser for Berkeley Public Ed Foundation

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jan 11 18:48:09 PST 2007

Please do not hit REPLY, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Cody's is sponsoring a benefit for the Berkeley Public Education
Foundation Monday, February 5, 2007 at 7:30 pm, and it sounds like a
fun evening.  Details below.

BUSD TEACHERS: The BPEF will give a free ticket to the first 25 BUSD
teachers who call 644-6244 and say "I appreciate all that the BPEF
does for the Berkeley Schools, and I'd love to be one of the 25
teachers to receive a free ticket for the Cody's fundraising event."
The wording is actually my idea, not theirs, but I think it would do
us all a lot of good to tell them how much we appreciate all that they
do for our schools.

PARENTS: This would be a great opportunity to buy an extra ticket and
invite your child's teacher to be your guest.

See you there, Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer

TEACH Like Your Hair's on Fire
The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56
RAFE ESQUITH
WINNER OF THE AMERICAN TEACHER AWARD

Cody's Presents
AN EVENING WITH RAFE ESQUITH
& THE HOBART SHAKESPEAREANS

In inner-city Los Angeles there is a remarkable fifth-grade classroom
known as Room 56.  Within its walls, first-generation immigrant
children who live in poverty and speak English as a second language
are treated with respect and encouraged to engage in the world of
ideas. They learn to play flawless renditions of Vivaldi, perform
unabridged plays by Shakespeare, and score in the top percent on
national standardized tests.  They go on to attend Harvard and other
major universities.

Their teacher is Rafe Esquith, author of the newly released Teach Like
Your Hair's on Fire.  Cody's brings Rafe and eight of his students to
Berkeley for an evening combining Shakespeare, sign language, and rock
'n' roll in a complete and amazing combination of the arts. This
evening will inspire and energize, and show us all how to teach like
our hair's on fire!

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 7:30 p. m.
First Congregational Church of Berkeley
(2345 Channing Way, entrance on Dana)
Tickets $5 in advance (at Cody's or call 559-9500), $10 at the door if
available.
A benefit for the Berkeley Public Education Foundation

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us