[BHS etree] MISC: Berkeley Measure A - Supporting Schools

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Sep 5 15:00:18 PDT 2006

Please do not hit REPLY, contact David Manson, Campaign Coordinator,
Berkeley Measure A [mailto:dmanson at berkeleymeasurea.com]

The "Yes on Measure A" organization will be participating in the
Solano Stroll and they invite anyone interested to join them, with
details available at http://www.BerkeleyMeasureA.org.  If you care to
learn more, some details are provided below.

Further information on the Measure A:
-------------------------------------
Berkeley voters will be asked to decide on Measure A in the November
elections this year.  Measure A renews two existing school measures
(BSEP and Measure B) at existing parcel tax rates.  Both BSEP and
Measure B are set to expire June 2007.  The existing measures pay for
30% of Berkeley's classroom teachers, libraries, music programs,
computers in schools and much more.  Measure A continues these
programs with no increase in taxes.

Measure A

Continue Berkeley Schools' Excellence - Support Measure A - Join the
YES on Measure A Campaign at the Solano Stroll Parade.

We will be meeting for t-shirt, button, and sign distribution at
10:00am on Sunday, September 10, 2006 at the North Berkeley Library
(1170 The Alameda - at Hopkins) and proceeding from there to the
parade staging area a couple of blocks away. A really big presence of
kids, families, teachers, administrators and community folks will
show the kind of support our kids and schools have always enjoyed
here in Berkeley.

Measure A:

Small classes.

An extensive musical program with instruments starting in the fourth
grade.

Well-stocked libraries open to all classes.

Funds that each school can spend as it sees best, providing a wide
range of art, sports, tutoring, and other academic enhancements.

These are the basics and some of the extras that make the Berkeley
public schools among the best in the state.

Our schools--and our children--have been able to thrive because the
voters of Berkeley, since 1986, have voted to chip in little bit
extra.  Now it's time to vote again, and we need to make sure that
our friends and neighbors know how critically important these funds
are.

Measure A does NOT increase tax rates.  The Measure A tax rate is
EXACTLY the sum of existing BSEP and B rates.

Measure A on the November ballot would renew the "parcel taxes" known
as BSEP (Berkeley Schools Excellence Program) and Measure B.  These
funds support 30 percent of the school district's teachers, making it
possible to significantly reduce class sizes in all grades.  They
make the music program in grades 4-8 a reality, funding it entirely.
And without BSEP, the school libraries would be history-almost every
librarian, staff and book is purchased by our parcel taxes. Plus the
$175/student site funds that are spent by the parent/staff BSEP
committee at each school. If Measure A fails, the result would be
devastating program cuts and dramatically increased class sizes.

Volunteer, put up a lawn sign, and march with Measure A supporters in
the Solano Stroll on September 10.

The Campaign Kick-Off is Saturday, September 9th at 2pm at 1942
Martin Luther King, the campaign headquarters, just south of
University.

Although Berkeley has a tradition of supporting public education, a
vigorous campaign will be necessary to achieve the 67% Measure A
needs to pass.

Please go to http://www.BerkeleyMeasureA.org to endorse the measure
and find out
more about how you can help.

David W. Manson, Jr.
Campaign Coordinator
Berkeley Measure A - Renewing Support for our Public Schools
dmanson at berkeleymeasurea.com