[BHS etree] COLLEGE | CAREER: College Advisor's Bulletin for 09/01/06

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Aug 31 15:38:50 PDT 2006

College Advisor's Bulletin  Ilene Abrams  iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us
Friday, September 1, 2006

SAT WORD OF THE DAY:  PRECLUDE – to prevent.  The approaching hurricane
precluded us from holding our Labor Day barbecue and beach party.

PARENTS – The College Advisor Program Assistant, Edna Harris, goes to
lunch every day from 1-2.  I am looking for parents who would be
available to volunteer one day every week from 1-2 to sit at Ms.
Harris’ desk so that Mr. Saraceno and I can see students while Ms.
Harris is at lunch.  If you are available on either Wednesdays or
Thursdays for the first semester, please e-mail me at
iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us.  Thanks.

FOR ALL STUDENTS
Please come by and check out our college and career books and college
catalogues, find a great place to study, get tutoring help or discuss
possible careers for your future.  We look forward to meeting you.

JOB INFORMATION
Administrative job for International Computer Science Institute, local
nonprofit.  Duties include filing, updating budgets, spreadsheets.  No
experience necessary.  For more information, call Theresa Hilaire at
666-2911 or Sharon Parker at 666-2905.

FOR SENIORS
SENIOR PARENT COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSION – Wednesday, September 13,
6:30 pm in the Berkeley High School library.  I will be presenting
detailed information on the college application process. Please come by
to get all of your questions answered.  I look forward to seeing you.

SENIORS:  We will be speaking to your English classes beginning on
September 11th and setting up individual appointments after the class
presentations are completed.  Until then, you may stop by at lunch or
after school to get your questions answered.

REMINDER:  If you are applying to private colleges which need a
counselor recommendation, your Senior Profiles are due on September 8th
if you are applying Early Decision or Early Action and September 22rd
for Regular Decision.  You do NOT need to fill these out if you are
applying only the UC’s, Cal State Universities or community colleges.

JESUIT COLLEGE FAIR – Thursday, September 14, 7:00-9:00 pm, St.
Ignatius College Prep, 2001-37th Avenue, San Francisco.
Representatives from 17 Jesuit colleges will be present to talk with
you and provide information.  These include:  Fordham University,
Loyola Marymount, Loyola University Chicago, Santa Clara University,
Seattle University, and many more.

COLLEGE VISITS TO BERKELEY HIGH
SENIORS:  Sign up in D221 to attend college presentations.  You must
also pick up an authorization form for your teacher to sign so that you
may miss his or her class.  This is a great opportunity to find out
more about individual colleges as well as meet one of the people who
may be reading your college application.

Friday, September 8
8:30	University of Denver (CO)

Monday, September 11
8:30 Colgate University (NY)
1:20 Fordham University (NY)

SAT/ACT TEST DATES – Tuesday, September 12 is the regular registration
deadline for the October 14 SAT and SAT subject tests.

COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS IN THE BAY AREA
Wed., September 13 – MIT at Acalanes High School, 1200 Pleasant Hill
Rd, Lafayette, 7:30 pm
Sun, September 17 – Boston College at Hotel Monaco, 501 Geary St., SF,
3:00 pm
Sun., September 17 – Barnard, Bryn Mawr, Mt. Holyoke, Smith and
Wellesley together at The Argent Hotel, SF, 7:00-9:00 p.m.

SCHOLARSHIPS
*AXA Achievement Scholarship – Open to current seniors who are U.S.
citizens or permanent residents who are planning to enroll in a two or
four year college in the fall and have shown outstanding achievement in
school, the community or workplace.  Scholarships range from $10,000 to
$25,000.  Deadline:  December 15.

Sinkler Miller Medical Association Scholarship – open to African
American residents of the San Francisco Bay Area graduating in 2007
with a minimum GPA of 3.0 with financial need.  Scholarships range from
$1,000 to $5,000. Applications available in D221. Deadline:  September
15.

Horatio Alger Association – Open to seniors graduating in 2007 who plan
to start college in the fall with gross family income under $50,000 and
a minimum GPA of 2.0.  Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Scholarships range fro $1000 to $20,000.  Apply at
www.horatioalger.org/scholarships.  Deadline:  October 30.

The official Class Ring and Graduation Product Vendor for Berkeley High
School is Achievers, Inc.  They can be reached at 408-441-7200.  All
orders can be placed on campus starting September 19, 2006 at lunch.
If there are any questions, please contact Eloy Garcia for additional
information.

*New to the bulletin today.