[BHS etree] EVENTS: Berkeley Public Library Teen Program - June 15

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jun 15 10:25:41 PDT 2006

Please do not hit reply, contact Debbie Carton
[mailto:dec1 at ci.berkeley.ca.us] (Ph: 510-981-6133)

Serious Fantasy/Science Fiction Book Club:
Teens invited to critically explore favorite genres

Berkeley Public Library's Teen Services invites teens to join a book
club which honors and critically examines contemporary and classic
titles in these genres.  In the tradition of famed writers J. R. R.
Tolkien and C. S. Lewis (members of the historic Inklings writing
group in Oxford, England), the group will meet weekly on Thursdays
from 4 to 5:30 over tea and scones to talk about authors as diverse
as Octavia Butler, Salman Rushdie and Ray Bradbury.  The club meets
at the Claremont Branch Library, 2940 Benvenue (at Ashby).

The first meeting on June 15 will critically discuss the Harry Potter
series.  We'll also distribute free copies of the Charles De Lint's
fantasy, The Blue Girl. On June 22 we'll discuss graphic novels- what
works and why?  June 29 guest speaker Tom Whitmore from The Other
Change of Hobbit recommends big fat juicy summer reads.  On July 6,
we'll compare Poul Anderson's the Broken Sword and J. R. R. Tolkien's
Ring trilogy.  July 13's topic will be a discussion of Octavia
Butler's Parable of the Sower.  On July 20, we'll talk about the role
of food in Brian Jacques' Redwall series.  July 27's topic will be a
discussion of The Blue Girl.  All teens are welcome, and teens who
attend these meetings will have a chance to select titles for the
next round of discussion.  Each program stands alone, and no
registration is required.

For questions regarding this program, call 510-981-6133.  This
program is sponsored by Teen Services and the Friends of the Berkeley
Public Library.  For accessibility information, call (510) 981-6107
TTY (510) 548-1220, http://berkeleypubliclibrary.org.