[BHS etree] ELECTIONS: BSEP and SSC Candidate Statements

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon May 22 04:41:03 PDT 2006

Please do not hit reply, contact Karen Hemphill [mailto:krjhemp at yahoo.com]

Below are the statements from each of the candidates for BSEP Committee and SSC (School Site Council).  If you have any questions, email Karen Hemphill.

BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL
BSEP CANDIDATES

MAY 2006

JAHLEE ARAKAKI

I'm Jahlee Arakaki, and I would like to serve on BSEP.
 I've been a proactive member of the Berkeley public schools and the community for 18 years, with both my children attending public school from K-12; my youngest now a freshman.  I've served as PTA president, SSC member, board member of ABGSL, Albany Little League, and BHS Athletic Fund, and this year on BSEP.  I believe it takes a village to raise a child, and I'm part of that village through good times and bad.  I share with you the identity of taxpayer, two-income family, and  full-time working mom.  I've put my efforts during these 18 years of diminishing dollars to organizing activities and assisting wherever needed.  For example, I organized jump rope-a-thons for physical fitness for grades 1-3 one school year; when the 4th grade computer program was cut I volunteered once a week teaching basic computer skills.  Wherever there was lack of funding, I helped so that no child would be left behind from school trips, or lack in enriching activities.  I believe in a balanced education--sound minds and bodies--and I want to see all children enriched by what happens inside and outside the classroom.  Thank you for your trust.

PATRICIA CAMPBELLI am submitting the following statement so that I will be considered for parent representative to the BSEP committee.  I have a daughter that is currently a junior at Independent Studies but will be returning to CAS  for her senior year at Berkeley High School.  Currently, I serve as a parent representative for the Leadership Council of CAS and support their mission and vision to provide small learning communities at BHS in which all students receive excellent education, opportunities for internship and engagement in the community and student support.  In serving on this Council, I have become more knowledgeable and aware of the many challenges facing teachers, parents, administrators and students in serving all the students of the high school.  I have also encountered visionary leadership and extraordinary volunteer time from all the stakeholders working each day to create a better learning environment for our kids.  My goals as a member of BSEP would be to promote more consensus among the various stakeholders on the BSEP committee and to engage in advocacy in the interests of all students at Berkeley High.  I share parenting with my daughter's father and have been active for the past two years in CAS as a parent of a bi-racial young woman.  She has become engaged and excited about a learning environment that affords her the opportunity to use her creativity in video and photography.  This has saved her and saved her education.  Thus, I realize how important and critical for all the small schools, the programs and the big school to have enough resources to enhance learning and excite students to access their critical thinking skills and their creativity.  This is the way we pave a different learning experience for our students, especially given the reduction of resources to public schools in California.  To do this requires the support of the community and participation from all the stakeholders in the committees that direct these resources.  I am employed as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the County of Marin and have a postgraduate certificate in Integrated Services studying school reform and student support in restructured schools.  I believe that I could use these skills to be an active member of BSEP and add my participation and efforts to improving programs at Berkeley High. Thank you for this opportunity.
SETH CHAZINMy name is Seth Chazin and I am interested in serving as a BSEP committee member.  I have lived in Berkeley since 1990 and I am a product of the public school system.  As a child, I was raised in several racially and socio-economically diverse communities.  My mother was a public school teacher for more than 30 years and many members of my family are educators.  I have a Minor in Education and I was a student teacher in the deep south in the 1970's.  I am now a criminal defense attorney and, in that capacity, I have worked with many children and their families in a variety of contexts.  Both my background and my deep concern for the success of our public schools has assisted me in becoming familiarized with many of the issues facing our students, teachers and
administrators at BHS.    I believe that I can use
both my life experiences as well as my work skills and experiences to assist me in synthesizing the important issues BSEP will be faced with and in coming up with creative solutions to solve those issues.  I look forward to the opportunity to serve BSEP and BHS.BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOLBSEP CANDIDATESMAY 2006Page 2CYNTHIA DORFMAN I am interested in running for the BSEP committee. The responsibility of deciding how best to allocate BSEP funds available to Berkeley High is an important one.
As a member of the BSEP Committee, I would seek to carefully evaluate the programs seeking funds, taking into account the views and experiences of those who utilize and implement the programs.  As the parent of a Berkeley High freshman, I have volunteered this year as a writer coach and envelope-stuffer.  I would welcome the opportunity to serve by giving Berkeley High's students the chance to make use of the programs most valuable to them, including those devoted to ensuring that every student has the basic skills needed for academic success.

ASIANO FERTIG

My name is Asano Fertig and I am running for the BHS BSEP committee. I am a physician working in adolescent health care. My daughter Tara Apriletti is in the 11th grade. I was on the BSEP committee at Jefferson School for 3 years. My final year was chairman and wrote the final budget of the committee. I was also on the BSEP committee and the joint council of King Middle School for 3 years.
I am committed to public education with the best possible outcome for all our students: at all achievement levels, learning abilities, and language backgrounds. Unfortunately, there are limited discretionary funds to support the needs of our diverse student body and the excellent programs that our teachers propose.  The good news is that the voters of Berkeley have consistently supported the extra tax for BSEP that helps to keep our class sizes smaller and provide each Berkeley public school with these extra discretionary funds. Each year the BSEP committees at each of the schools with the direction of their school communities must decide between many outstanding proposals, and the choices are difficult.
I would like the privilege to take part in this process at BHS next year.

ALLEN KING

I am a parent of an incoming freshman and graduating Senior at BHS. I have served on the BSEP committee for four years and served as Chair for the past two years.
There are many ways to enrich the students' experience at BHS. The BSEP committee has the opportunity to review and fund a variety of both academic and non-academic programs that are not necessarily part of the curriculum, as well as supplementing classes and programs in ways that brings the students a richer experience. All of the programs that we fund promote the goals of the school including helping to reduce the achievement gap. I look forward to using the funds that are allocated to our school in creative ways to make the school a better place for all of the students.

WENDY WALKER-MOFFAT

My name is Wendy Walker-Moffat, and I would like to be
considered for the BSEP committee.   I am a parent of
a current freshman and a recent graduate, both of whom were in Academic Choice.  To be honest, I have been very impressed and somewhat intimidated by the overwhelming participation of other parents.  Thus, I am not sure that I am the type of parent that others
want to represent them.   In all honesty, there is
often something of a backlash against people with credentials.  I have an M.Ed. and Ed.D. in
Administration, Planning and Social Policy.   I am an
independent college counselor and educational advisor.
  I work with students of all abilities from all economic backgrounds.  This is my livelihood, but I always take on a number of pro-bono students whose parents did not go to college, as was the case in my family. In terms of background,  I worked in refugee camps in Thailand for three years, am the author of "The Other Side of the Asian American Success Story,"
(SF:  Jossey Bass, 1995). I taught about immigrants and refugees at UC Berkeley, focusing on policy issues and practical concerns in schools, from 1992-2000.  I was a witness for the ACLU against Proposition 187, and testified three times before the California State Assembly on behalf of Mexican immigrant women and their children in CA public schools, 1993 - 1995.  I would like to participate in the BSEP committee because I believe that compassion is the most important quality that Berkeley High, Berkeley High students and the various programs paid for by BSEP
funds can demonstrate.   All too often compassion is
neglected in the quest to send our youth to the most selective colleges.

BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL
SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL CANDIDATES

MAY 2006

GILBERTO ARRIAZA

I am running for the BHS SSC committee. I understand the entire k-12 continuum as teacher, leadership coach, and researcher. I have worked as a school reformer since 1992 and at the center of my concerns sits equity and adequacy for all children, particularly for those deemed disadvantaged. I know what it takes transforming a massive school into personalized learning community; this is what I did as a teacher in the San Francisco Unified School District in the early 1990s, and later on that decade as school leadership coach working for the then Bay Area Coalition of Essential Schools. Today I help prepare future school leaders at SJSU educational leadership department, and the issues a SSC deals with are part of the content of my daily work. Gilberto Arriaza, Ph.D.

CAROL LASHOF

Carol S. Lashof:  I have been active in the Berkeley public schools for the past thirteen years--at Washington Elementary, Longfellow and Willard Middle Schools, and at Berkeley High.  At BHS, I have volunteered as a Writer’s Coach and served on the design team for the International High School.
Currently, I am co-president of the PTSA and in that capacity I have observed several meetings of Site Council and Shared Governance.  My older daughter (class of 05) was by turns a student in a small school (Common Ground), in Academic Choice, and in the comprehensive school.  My younger daughter is a ninth grader in the comprehensive school.  Through my own activities and by observing my children and their peers, I have gained insight into the breadth of experiences possible at BHS.  My experiences as a college English teacher for the past 23 years enable me to understand what skills a student needs to acquire in high school in order to succeed in college.
 As a member of Site Council, I believe I could work effectively and collaboratively to support Berkeley High’s mission to provide an excellent college preparatory education to all students.

MARY MCDONALD

My name is Mary McDonald and I have a 9th grade son in CP Academy and a 5th grade daughter at Washington School. This year I have been an active member on the CP Academy Parent Council and Leadership Team, I’m looking forward to bringing my experience with these groups to the Site Council. For two years I was a member of the School Governance Council, an alternate BSEP Planning and Oversight Committee member, and the parent education coordinator for the PTA at King Middle School. While at Washington School I was PTA co-chair for three years and served on the Leadership Team and as the alternate BSEP Planning and Oversight Committee representative for one year. I also worked with others to obtain a Healthy Start Grant for Washington School, and to implement the three-year program. I look forwarded to promoting a collaborative approach to school decision making with the goal that each and every student achieves to the best of their abilities and leaves BHS a responsible and respectful young adult, having completed a full college preparatory program and fully prepared to pursue their academic and career goals.

SANDY STIER

My name is Sandy Stier and I am running for the BHS School Site Council. I have two sons at Berkeley High School, they are currently in 9th and 11th grade in Academic Choice and CAS respectively. I am committed to supporting the success of all students at Berkeley High School and believe that equity in educational opportunity is critical to that outcome. I was active in my son's elementary and middle school years at a private school primarily in fundraising and classroom assistance. I continue to support fundraising efforts at Berkeley High School as well as student enrichment programs. I believe I can contribute to the mission of the SSC, representing the needs of all students.  In my personal life, I am a technology director for a county governmental agency. I have extensive experience in strategic planning, finance, policy and data management in human services. I live in North Berkeley with my domestic partner, my two sons, and my two younger stepsons. I recognize the challenges that face all types of students and families in our community and want to represent our diverse population in a proactive and equitable way.

MARY MARTIN

I am interested in a seat on the SSC. I ran for the position last year when my daughter entered 9th grade in the "Big School."  I continue to pursue a position on the SSC because I believe in it. When I did not get a seat on the voting SSC last year, I decided to get more experience at my own site, Cragmont Elementary.
I have served for three years on SSC.  Now, with three years under my belt, I believe that I would be an asset to BHS SSC.  I have been teaching for five years in the district.  I have been working with minority students during the summer and after school for the past three years.  I would like a chance to advocate for BHS students and the decisions made.

PRISCILLA MYRICK

My name is Priscilla Myrick and I am running for School Site Council (SSC).  I have been involved as a parent volunteer at Berkeley High for six years.  My daughter graduated from BHS in 2004; my son is a sophomore (class of 2008).  I have been a volunteer writing coach at Berkeley High since the inception of Writers' Room/Writercoach Connection.  I am dedicated to the academic success of all students at BHS whether in the comprehensive school or in the small schools.

I am currently Vice Chair of the School Site Council.
For the past two years I have attended the Site Council meetings and provided input to the Single Plan for Student Achievement as a member of the Site Council's Site Plan subcommittee.  The Site Plan's goals address such issues as curriculum, safety and discipline, school governance, school culture and communication.  I am very interested in continuing to represent the BHS community in setting policy at the high school.  I ask for your vote so I may continue as a member of Site Council. I want to work for equal access for all students at Berkeley High for funding, resources, excellent teachers and quality curriculum.

JANE WISE

I'm Jane Wise, current member of the School Site Council. I have a senior and a freshman at BHS who are in the Academic Choice Program. For the past four years I have been an active volunteer at the high school. I served for two years on the BSEP Committee and participated for two years as a coach for Writer Coach Connection. Last year I was an alternate on Site Council prior to becoming a voting member this year.
The Berkeley High community of students, parents, teachers and administrators is one that I have grown to care deeply about. Though each of us brings our own voice and background experience to the table, we are there to serve all students and to work towards making Berkeley High a safe, supportive, and intellectually challenging environment for all. I have also served for two years on the Site Plan Subcommittee, meeting monthly to review and evaluate the overall plan for the school, which includes issues such as safety and discipline, school communication and culture, and attendance. Next year, as the school focuses attention on developing and maintaining the two Programs and four Small Schools, I want to ensure that we support each other and those in the comprehensive school, sharing ideas and resources. Curriculum standards and outcomes throughout the school, a stronger support network for teachers and a well coordinated tutoring/mentoring program for students are some of the important issues that will need to be addressed next year.