[BHS etree] SUPT: Help Prepare Your Home & School for Disaster

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Dec 26 17:16:46 PST 2005

Please do not hit reply, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

The message below is from Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information
Officer:

I just received these emails (one from Lt. Governor Cruz Bustamante,
two from Berkeley Emergency Services) and it's not a coincidence. As
a member of the BUSD Emergency Container Committee I can tell you
that we need to be prepared now. The BUSD is better prepared with
emergency supplies at every school site, than most Districts. What we
need now is your involvement. Sign up for some of the training
scheduled below, and become a part of the response planning for your
children's school. Your being prepared at home, and involved in your
school's preparedness is one of the best gifts you can give your
family this holiday season. I can't wait to take the first class
listed and train my PTA.

I know the email is long, but I really care about your well being.

Happy Holidays from my family to yours,

Mark Coplan
BUSD Public Information Officer
======

FROM THE DESK OF:
CRUZ M. BUSTAMANTE
Lieutenant Governor
State of California

During this holiday season, I've been thinking of the continuing
tragedy on America's Gulf Coast.  So many people have lost everything
they have and are living day-to-day in temporary quarters.  I'm
thankful that many Californians have sent money and aid, and still
others have volunteered for recovery duty in that region.  Yet there
is so much more to do in a recovery effort that will continue not for
months-but years.

One wonders how vast numbers of Californians would fare if we faced a
similar crisis - losing everything to flood, fire, tsunami or
earthquake.

I know I'm not prepared for such a calamity.

The issue has taken on new urgency with the recent report that a
tsunami generated by a large, offshore quake would threaten at least
one million of California's coastal residents and inundate the
nation's largest port.

That came on the heels of an estimate that California's 1,600 miles
of levees are in such bad shape that it could take from $7 billion to
$12 billion to upgrade them.  In Sacramento alone, the cost of three
levee breaks during a "200-year" storm has been put at $11 billion in
property damage and up to $15 billion in lost wages, taxes and other
costs.

With that in mind, I've been reflecting on what should be done now to
ease the burden of cataclysmic losses.  We've all heard about having
enough food, water and medical supplies on hand to get through at
least the first few days of the crisis.  And to pick a safe meeting
place where family members can reconnect.

Beyond that, however, it might be a good idea to review your home or
renters' insurance policy.  Property values have increased
dramatically in recent years, and so has the price of nearly
everything else.  Your coverage may not be adequate to replace
losses.  Appraisals for items such as art, jewelry and antiques may
be in need of updating.

Each of us also should have an inventory of our belongings.  That can
be a list, photos, a videotape or even a tape recording detailing
important items in each room.  The Insurance Information Institute
offers a free software program for inventorying your household.  It
can be downloaded at www.knowyourstuff.org.

Once the inventory is complete, it should be stored in a safe deposit
box.

Those steps won't solve the problems faced by people who must start
from scratch to assemble a household.  But they can make efforts
infinitely easier and speed the settlement of your insurance claim.

It is my hope for the holidays that you and the ones you love will
never have to make use of such an inventory.  Best wishes to you and
yours for a wonderful holiday and productive new year.

Berkeley Launches New Disaster Preparedness Programs: City Seeks
Disaster Preparedness Trainers

Have you ever wanted to teach people to prepare for disasters? Come
to the free "Train the Trainer" class sponsored by Berkeley's Office
of Emergency Services on Saturday morning, January 28, 10:00 -12:00,
at the Fire Department Training Center, 997 Cedar Street.

Volunteers are sought to go to Berkeley neighborhoods and talk about
what earthquakes are, what to do before (how to prepare) and during
an earthquake, what types of supplies to have, and how people can
organize themselves and their neighbors. Firefighter Sam Hoffman will
go over in detail the five critical steps to prepare for an
earthquake: have a plan, a long distance phone contact, supplies, a
safe home/workplace, and know your neighbors/co-workers.

Before attending this class, it is suggested volunteers take the
Basic Personal Preparedness class offered on Saturday, January 14,
either at 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. or 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. at St. John's
Presbyterian Church, 2727 College Ave. This two-hour class covers in
detail the material needed for a 45-minute neighborhood talk.

Light refreshments will be served. To register for Trainer the
Trainer, or for the Basic Personal Preparedness class, call
510-981-5506, e-mail dehrlich at ci.berkeley.ca.us
[mailto:dehrlich at ci.berkeley.ca.us], or register on-line at
http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/fire/oes.html.

Berkeley's 2006 Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) Classes
Set: Berkeley Beefs Up Disaster Preparedness

Berkeley, California (Wednesday, December 21, 2005) - Emergency
planning experts advise that it may be difficult to find water,
emergency supplies or equipment after a major disaster, such as
earthquake or fire. Act now before the emergency occurs, to ensure
that you have enough supplies to last five to seven days.

Berkeley's Office of Emergency Services offers free classes in
Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) to anyone who lives or
works in Berkeley. The classes provide basic preparedness (what
supplies to have, what should be in your family emergency plan, the
importance of a long distance phone contact), and teach you how to
apply basic first aid, to handle disaster-related emotional
reactions, and more. The City encourages you to take all of the
classes, but you can sign up for one, two, or as many as you'd like.

The January/February schedule includes two new classes: Train the
Trainer (teaches participants to present the basic personal
preparedness talk to other neighborhoods), and Neighborhood
Organizing (a panel discussion that includes tips on getting to know
your neighbors, maintenance of your group, and more).

The Basic Personal Preparedness classes take place at St. John's
Presbyterian Church, 2727 College Avenue. Due to the popularity of
this class, two sessions are offered January 14 at 10:00 a.m. and
1:30 p.m..

All other classes are held at the Fire Department Training Center,
997 Cedar Street (between 8th and 9th Streets). The Disaster First
Aid class originally scheduled for January 21 is full, and another
one has been added (February 11). Following is the schedule for
January and February 2006:

Saturday, January 14, 10-12 Basic Personal Preparedness (2727 College
Avenue)
Saturday, January 14, 1:30-3:30 Basic Personal Preparedness (2727
College Avenue)
Saturday, January 28, 10-12 Train the Trainer (997 Cedar Street)
Saturday, February 4, 9-12 Disaster Mental Health (997 Cedar Street)
Saturday, February 11, 9-12 Disaster First Aid (997 Cedar Street)
Saturday, February 25, 10-12 Neighborhood Organizing (997 Cedar
Street)

Call 510-981-5605 or 510-981-5506 to register, or for information.
You may also register on-line at
[http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/fire/oes.html]

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD