[BHS etree] PARENT RESOURCE CENTER: See's Candy Fundraiser

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Oct 31 05:46:26 PST 2005

Contact: Irma Parker, irma_parker at berkeley.k12.ca.us, 644-8524

Dear Parents, BHS staff and Community Members,

I received an email in reference to the See's Candy fundraiser that
the Parent Resource Center is sponsoring for the holiday season.  The
email stated: "Why are we selling sugar to raise money?"  It also
made reference to candy being sold to young people.  Please let me be
clear about why we are selling See's Candy as a fundraiser at this
time.

First and foremost, as I stated in the original email about the
fundraiser, only the staff of the Parent Center are funded by BSEP.
If we want to continue to do workshops, attend seminars or
conferences, plan events, help students in emergency situations with
transportation, lunch, or other personal needs, we need to have the
funds to do these things.

The Parent Center has in the past, and currently helps, students (and
sometimes parents) in all of the areas listed above.  With the
economy being what it is today, money is scare, and I believe in
self-sufficiency.  I know that many people purchase See's Candy for
the holiday season for whatever reason.  I thought that if we made
the candy available and convenient to our families that they might
purchase it from us, thus helping us to continue the work we are
doing.

We do not solicit orders from anyone other than those interested in
buying the candy.  We definitely do not sell the candy to any
students unless their parents ask them to place the order for them.

The Parent Center would love to have donations so we won't have to
sell candy or other items.  If you are interested in donating to the
center please send your check to the Berkeley Public Education
Foundation or The Berkeley High School Development Group, marked
specifically "PARENT RESOURCE CENTER."  All donations would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Irma Parker,BHS Parent Center Liaison/Coordinator

-----
PLEASE DO NOT HIT 'REPLY' to respond to this message.
Direct your email to the contact person for this message:
Irma Parker, mailto:irma_parker at berkeley.k12.ca.us
-----