[BHS etree] ADMIN: Help needed Short and Long Term

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 5 10:53:14 PDT 2005

contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

SHORT TERM HELP: Tomorrow begins the second week of school and there is
still a need for short term help delivering schedule changes, collecting the
"no show" attendance records 2nd period, distributing lockers at lunch, and,
on Wednesday 9/7 helping with a first class mailing for Back to School Night
(which is scheduled for September 23.)

Please consider coming in to help this week--for whatever time you can
spare. We had 40 volunteers on the first day of school, 21 on the second and
18 on the third. Wow! But we still need more.  The nice thing about the
beginning of school is that it is easy to drop in and out. Whenever you can
come, there is work to be done and it all helps our children start school
smoothly. If you can, please come to the front desk and sign in.  Someone
there will direct you on to where you are needed. Thank you in advance
wonderful people.

LONG TERM HELP: There are a number of long term ways to become involved at
Berkeley High.

1. The Front Desk.  My personal favorite. The front desk volunteers are the
first line of response to the literally  hundreds of visitors who walk
through the front doors weekly. Receptionist Ruby Taylor and Program
Assistant Belinda McDaniel are there to back you up, but by the end of a few
weeks you will be amazed by how much you have learned about the inner
workings of Berkeley High. The front desk shifts are for two persons and 1.5
hours long. Details re times are following in a separate posting. contact:
Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

2. College Center. College Advisor Ilene Abrams needs help one day per week
from 1 to 2 p.m. so that Ms. Harris can go to lunch and she (Ms Abrams) can
continue meeting with students.  One semester commitment is requested.  If
you would like to volunteer, please e-mail Ms Abrams at
iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us and let her know which day is best for you.

3. ETREE Hard Copy. For the past two years a volunteer has printed out the
etree postings and delivered them on a regular basis to the Parent Resource
Center for inclusion in a folder available to those who do not have Internet
access.  This should be done at least twice a week.  The PTSA will provide
paper.  If you can take on this Very Important Job, please contact Janet
Huseby at jhuseby at pacbell.net. For your information, the etree currently has
2,016 subscribers and is growing every day.  Please tell your friends to
subscribe.

4. The Famous WriterCoach Connection.  WriterCoach Connection (WCC) is
gearing up to mentor 9th grade students at BHS. Coaches commit to a regular,
1 or 2-hour per week assignment and meet weekly, during the school day, to
work with students in their English/history classes. WriterCoach Connection
trains you to be a coach; you don't have to be a writer or educator. Learn
step-by-step methods to coach students (including your own) at one of their
fall training sessions. For more information, contact Lynn Mueller:
writercoachconnect at yahoo.com   510-524-2319

5. Tour Guides. Starting after the Private School Parent Night November 15,
parents will be leading small group tours of Berkeley High.  If you are
interested in being a guide, contact Janet Huseby at jhuseby at pacbell.net.

6. Berkeley School Volunteers . This organization funded by the Berkeley
Public Education Foundation, does a wonderful job placing volunteers in all
of the BUSD schools including Berkeley High. If you're interested in
tutoring or have not found anything in the list above that appeals, the BSV
is a good place to call.  For more information, contact Director Barbara
Bowman at (510) 644-8833 or 644-8663 or bsv at berkeley.k12.ca.us

7. I have always gotten more from the volunteer jobs at Berkeley High than I
have given. I have made wonderful friends among the world's best parents, I
have learned my way around a very large school, and I have figured out who's
who at Berkeley High so that when my kids needed help I knew how to help
them.  I promise you will take away more than you give by volunteering at
BHS.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net