[BHS etree] ETREE: Tentative registration dates/etree news/debate club notice

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Jun 29 21:32:24 PDT 2005

1. Student Registration will take place the week of August 22. Students will
pick up their schedule, have their Picture ID taken and select a locker if
they want one. Students who want a locker should bring their own lock to
registration. Students will be assigned specific time slots in order to cut
down on long lines.  Because the etree will be on vacation for the next 10
days I am sending out the TENTATIVE schedule now (that is, which grades
report on what day, the registration week itself is not tentative.)  If the
schedule is changed, we will let you know by mid July. Seniors will register
August 22; Juniors, August 23; Sophomores, August 24; and Freshman, August
25. There will be  Detailed information on the registration mailed home in
the summer packet in early August.

2. The etree will be on vacation for the next 10 days. When we come back,
incoming parents Diane Douglas and Melissa Bloom will join Kathryn Capps on
the tree.  Kathryn, whose oldest daughter will be a senior will also have a
freshman.  Janet Huseby (me), whose son just graduated, will fade out of the
day to day etree operation.  I will continue next year as the Parent
Volunteer Coordinator and will be seeking help starting with the August
mailing!  It has been great fun working on the etree for the past few years.
At our high point this last spring we had 2,035 subscribers.  We have dipped
now due to graduation but hope to start climbing again in the fall.  The
etree is an important means of communication but to be truly effective we
must continue to grow.  Please encourage your friends and acquaintances from
BHS to sign up.  If you run into people who have tried to sign up but
couldn't make the system work, tell them to call Janet at 527-1130 and I
will input them by hand.

3. Finally, the etree received the following debate information:
contact: Josephine Balakrishnan <jbalakrishnan at mindspring.com>
Are you restless for an intellectual challenge that will improve your brain,
help you academically and connect you to the > likes of Malcolm X, John F.
Kennedy and Jane Paley? You can go to a camp at UC http://
www.educationunlimited.com/debate_cal.html. Ask them for the Berkeley High
discount. You might not get it but ask (we need five students which so far
we don't have). This year's High School National Debate Topic: CIVIL
LIBERTIES: SEARCH AND DETENTION

4. Take care and have a good vacation,
Janet and Kathryn