[BHS etree] ADMIN: Help needed for Storytelling, Bio field trip, and Career Fair --all interesting events this week!

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon May 16 12:27:23 PDT 2005

Several unusual opportunities for volunteers at Berkeley High this week of
May 16:

1. Storytelling Festival, Wednesday, May 18. contact: jhuseby at pacbell.net
English teacher Alan Miller has organized a story telling festival for 9th
(and some 10th) grade students. The first two story tellers, Karen McKie, an
African American storytellers who uses dolls to tell stories, and Charlie
Chin, a classically trained Chinese storytellers who uses three items to
tell stories, were at BHS at the beginning of May. The third, and last,
Rosallyn Onu, an Ibo storyteller from Nigeria will be coming to Berkeley
High this Wednesday, May 18 from 1:15 to 3:15 and will perform on the grassy
slope near H Building and Community Theater Mr. Miller would like three
ushers to help organize seating.  If you can help, please email Janet Huseby
at jhuseby at pacbell.net

2. Biology Field Trip, Thursday, May 19. contact: Elisa Stone
[mailto:estone at berkeley.k12.ca.us]
In Biology class, we are taking a field trip to The Universe Within exhibit
(see www.theuniversewithin.org), a special show that is in San Francisco for
a few months that nicely goes with what students have been learning about
the human body in biology.  The field trip is scheduled for next Thursday,
May 19- students are very excited about going, but we are having trouble
recruiting volunteers as chaperones.  The trip goes from about 8:30 a.m. to
3:15 p.m., and costs for adults are about $20.  We would love to invite you
to join us, and would really appreciate your helping as a chaperone.
Chaperones would keep an eye on about 10 students, making sure they check in
at key times for a head count (like before getting on BART, when we get to
the exhibit, and before returning home). Elisa Stone & Steven Fong  -
Advanced Biology, Biotechnology, and AP Biology teachers

3. BHS Career Fair, Thursday, May 19. contact: Ilene Abrams (iabrams at
berkeley.k12.ca.us)
Berkeley High has not had a career fair in many years and this one will be
excellent. This is a great opportunity for students to learn about the world
of work, opportunities in medical, legal, retail, food, construction and
many more industries. There will also be workshops on resume writing,
dressing for success, etc.  We need parent volunteers for two hour shifts
beginning at 10:00, 12:00, 2:00 and 4:00. We need 6 volunteers each shift,
except for the 2:00 p.m. shift when only 3 are needed. Please e-mail Ilene
Abrams (iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us) if you can help.