[BHS etree] PTA: Message to BHS Seniors re. Caravan for Kids April 28

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Apr 20 20:44:55 PDT 2005

Contact: Cynthia Papermaster, Berkeley Caravan Coordinator,
cynthia_papermaster at yahoo.com

StudentVoices at capta.org

INVITATION TO BHS SENIORS ONLY*

JOIN US!

California Students -- Please Join us to speak out against Governor
Schwarzenegger's proposed budget for education funding.

Students, it is time for us to stand up together and send a message to
Governor Schwarzenegger and the Legislature. It is time we tell them
that breaking the promise to fully fund education is wrong and will
impact us most significantly. The independent Legislative Analyst's
Office calculates that, assuming 27 students per class and 6.3 million
public school students, schools are likely to take a hit of about $8,650
per classroom per year.

We can make a difference, our voice does matter and it should and needs
to be heard.

On April 28th the California State PTA is holding a rally on the steps
of the Capitol to protest the Governor's proposed budget for education
funding. This proposed budget will have a significant impact on
students. That is why it is important for students to speak out against
this proposal. We invite and encourage students to contact their PTA
unit, council, and district president about participating in Caravan for
our Kids. Caravan for our Kids is a group that is mobilizing people from
all over the state to come to Sacramento on the 28th to participate in
our rally. It is important that youth speak out and be heard! If you
want more information about this event please let us know.

THREE VERY IMPORTANT NOTICES
1) *STAR Testing for BHS students is on April 28, except for Seniors.
Only seniors will be allowed to join the Caravan to Sacramento. We don't
want students to miss the test.
2)  Anyone interested in reserving a seat on one of our chartered buses,
taking the train, or forming carpools, please contact the Berkeley
Caravan Coordinator either by email: cynthia_papermaster at yahoo.com or
phone 415-393-8248. The buses are filling fast! We leave Berkeley at
9:30 a.m. and return at 4:30. We will be visiting our State
representatives, attending a noontime rally at the Capitol, and hearing
brief presentations on state government and the legislative process.
Students may also have an opportunity to speak at the Rally.
2) A Berkeley PTA Council "Caravan for Kids" press conference is
happening at 3 p.m. on April 27, in front of the BUSD (aka Old City
Hall, 2134 MLK Jr. Way) just across the street from BHS. Students are
cordially invited to come; we expect TV cameras, newspapers, etc.